can I use inverter current to both my computer and laptop with modem, with some limited fans lights

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
I have an inverter, which I generally use when power outage occurs. The connection to this inverter is limited to some plug points and fan lilghts in few rooms.
I have a laptop which I think that i could add to this connection as it will consume less current.
I have a wifi modem which I think I could also add , as it also consumes less current
Can I add a pc to it , please advise
Will there be any problem in using both pc and laptop, when power outage occurs.
Normally, I see tv, and one or two fans and lights are being run when power cut occurs.I am having exide tubular. inva master IM10000 model, which runs on distilled waters available at petrol bunks
The link to product details , i think , this is it. I only see capacity of 150 ah, as in the link in my inverter battery
https://www.amazon.in/Exide-Im10000-Battery-MASTER-IM10000/dp/B01G6ZSJCI

From surfing the net, I came across , this page
Amps to VA
Phase Amps (V) Volts-Amps (VA)
Single 120 220 26400
Three 120 220 45726.12
Single 135 230 31050
Three 135 230 53780.152
Single 150 240 36000
Three 150 240 62353.8
I am having three phase of 150 ah capacity, but really do not know, if all three phases are connected to the inverter .
Could I assume the va capacity of the inverter is 36000. how do I arrive at the possible load ,

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The only way to know the answer to this is to first take the rated capacity of the inverter (should be on the label, probably in VA) and then subtract the rated consumption of each item (also on the labels) and see if you exceed the rating.

Ideally, you have some capacity left over for surges, but as long as the numbers end up:

Inverter Rating VA ≥ Sum of All Devices to be Powered VA

You should be OK.

jraju

Joined Jul 23, 2017
Hi, Thanks, could you please say, how much a computer generally consumes and the laptop and wifi modem consumes
I think the pc and the laptop devices are working on dc, am I correct. I will see the VA, as it is placed too high to see it.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi, Thanks, could you please say, how much a computer generally consumes and the laptop and wifi modem consumes
I think the pc and the laptop devices are working on dc, am I correct. I will see the VA, as it is placed too high to see it.
Though the laptop and PC do use DC internally, their power supplies are AC. It would be pure guesswork to tell you what your particular devices consume. You need to either find the labels on the power supplies or search for them on the net.

Everything else would just be random guessing. Don’t forget to add all of the other devices too. (lights, fans, etc.). The lights are going to be the hardest to find a VA rating on. If they are LED lights and the numbers are otherwise looking OK, you should be just fine.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Computer nameplate ratings are the maximum power that the power supply can draw. That is usually far higher than the real-world power consumption. The best is to measure with a power meter (Kill-A-Watt) or ammeter.
Things with switching power supplies run just fine from a "modified sine wave" (better described as a modified square wave?) inverter; true sine wave inverters are said to be better for things with AC electric motors, or linear power supplies.