Can I use a different AC wire for my charger?

nasahtahir

Joined Apr 11, 2021
Hi I am literally clueless regarding this. Please see the picture the one circled in red; I don’t have a socket in home for those 3 round pin plug however I have a lot of laptop charger that kind of look similar. Can I use that for my Lenovo docking station (https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories...) It came with those round pins and I have checked everywhere simply cannot find one portable adapter for that. So I decided why not use a similar one, even my PS4 has a similar wire.

Not sure if its relevant. But the laptop charger has 65 W written on it and the round pin (the one circled above) the charger for that is 90 W. Would that mean the wire would burn up if I use a wire that is not circled in the picture ?

Attachments

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
That's a BS546 mains plug. It was replaced in Britain by the 13 A plug with rectangular pins and a fuse in 1947 due to the introduction of the 30 Amp ring-main in order to save on copper after the war.
There are three different types of BS546 plug: 2A, 5A and 15A. They are the mains connector used in the Indian sub-continent, under an Indian standard number, and still used in Britain for lighting circuits.
I think yours is the 5A type - if so it is 19.1mm between the live and neutral pins - in which case it will take 1150 Watts maximum.
The other end appears to have an inlet connector commonly called "cloverleaf".
It's pretty much safe to say that you can replace the mains lead by any one with an identical "cloverleaf" plug at the other end.
Or you can get an adaptor
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/99...0u_Yl6FQJo8TMPYFjWUzmHWXpRPZ3wQUaAlHQEALw_wcB
but make absolutely sure it has a fuse in it.
Or you can cut off the BS546 plug and wire the cable into a 13A plug.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Post#2 is correct, but the very first thing you must do is verify that the device you want to connect to your mains power is able to use that supply voltage. So you will need to be able to read the label on the device that you wish to use. Then, if it will function with the mains voltage that you have available, you can buy the correct type of plug, cut off that plug that does not match, and install the correct plug. If you do not understand how to do that then you need to get help from somebody who will show you how it is done.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
but the very first thing you must do is verify that the device you want to connect to your mains power is able to use that supply voltage.
You are absolutely correct. However, I will say in my defence for omitting that statement, that both BS546 and BS1363 plugs are exclusively used on 230/240V supplies.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I don’t have a socket in home for those 3 round pin plug
Even if you did, if you're in Britain, don't plug your Lenovo docking station into it. It could only be two things:
either: the house hasn't been rewired since before the war, in which case I'd be scared to plug anything into it
or: it's a lighting circuit, which might be OK, or it might be controlled through a dimmer which the docking station might not like.

Also, I have to wonder why the Lenovo docking station was supplied with what is these days an Indian plug. If it were in Britain, that would be illegal under The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That is why I suggested replacing the mains connection plug with a current version. Really, it is neither hard nor dangerous. Replacing a power plug with a decent quality power plug is not a big deal.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I use travel adapters for foreign plugs. The one I have right now is not fully safe you could easily touch the prongs and they are live (when you pull out the plug) , so they are not idiot safe, but it is just sitting there and does nothing and the risk of something happening is about zero. Just dont let children play with these travel adapters (they would for instance pull out the plug a little bit and put coins between the prongs).

I tried today and it is a good 15mm bare prongs but they are not meant to be pulled out in stupid ways, theres always stupid people and stupid accidents so they are not legal. Not difficult to buy them here and not expensive.

Maybe fit a new plug in the UK they sell plugs in many supermarkets and shops.

All laptop bricks I have seen in my life have the ratings printed on them i.e. the voltage

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
No it isn't - it's dangerous and should not be used.
Things become dangerous when they cant be controlled.
If they can be controlled, if the risk are known, they are not dangerous.
This is why I made an assessment today.

If the plug is never pulled out theyre safe and you could also tape them,
then the plug could not accidentially be removed.