Can I Trigger BT136/BTA12 Triac using 5 V DC from Micro-controller Pin without using any isolation?

hussainyakub

Joined Aug 3, 2017
Hello All,

Please help to design a circuit where I can trigger BT136/BTA12 triac using micro-controller pin directly without using any isolation. The reason for not using isolation is to reduce over all cost of the system for now. Also help me out to figure safety of appliances & triac using snubber circuits.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Well if you don't want isolation , just feed the gate with a series 1K resistor ,transistor buffer, and a 1K resistor between the Gate /Mt1 to suppress false pulses,.

Note if you're firing it on mains, then your circuit will be at Live Potential, ideally you need to use an opto-coupler, for the sake of £0.50 ($0.70) is it worth it!!

Last edited:

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Appliance safety a lot cheaper than paying out death and injury claims.
Not to mention design quality/ruggedness/reputation effects on company.

Just a thought.

Regards, Dana.

Avid0g

Joined Apr 1, 2018
As Dodgydave said, a direct connection to mains means, hopefully, that the triac cathode is connected to Neutral. That will typically mean that the cathode has several volts of noise. Otherwise it is at a dangerously high line voltage and your processor is as well.

That doesn't sound safe either way, unless the controller is out of reach and well insulated from ground. Say, for example, your product is inside a light bulb base.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Appliance safety a lot cheaper than paying out death and injury claims.
Not to mention design quality/ruggedness/reputation effects on company.

Just a thought.

Regards, Dana.
Before SMPSU technology fully matured, TVs etc were usually live chassis - live front panel micros weren't exactly rare.

Modern SMPSUs make mains isolation easy - but designers still usually put something between the micro and power devices like SCRs etc.

hussainyakub

Joined Aug 3, 2017
How can I protect my TRIAC from getting damage in case of short circuit without using fuse. Please suggest some efficient techniques that I can implement on my product.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
How can I protect my TRIAC from getting damage in case of short circuit without using fuse. Please suggest some efficient techniques that I can implement on my product.
If by efficient you mean "cheap", I don't know of anything cheaper than a fuse for line over-current protection.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
It is false economy, and bordering on irresponsible and maybe even potentially criminal to do cheap hacks on controlling mains. You could well cause someone to get killed or start a fire.....
As crustchow says, fuses are cheap. If you budget does not stretch even that far my feeling is you should scrap the idea before someone, maybe you, gets hurt.