Can i solder two USBs together?

ConnorHaynes

Joined Mar 16, 2015
Hi there,

Im currently working on a project that requires me to link two usb connections together. I would have just used a usb powered hub, however there is no more room in the enclosure for this.

I have one usb going out of the enclosure and two inside. Could i just solder both connections together inside the enclosure, and then solder to the usb going out? Thats essentially what a usb hub is anyway isnt it??

Cheers guys!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hi there,

Im currently working on a project that requires me to link two usb connections together. I would have just used a usb powered hub, however there is no more room in the enclosure for this.

I have one usb going out of the enclosure and two inside. Could i just solder both connections together inside the enclosure, and then solder to the usb going out? Thats essentially what a usb hub is anyway isnt it??

Cheers guys!
You can solder the power parts of the two USB's together if they originate from the same computer, to get more power if you like, but not (never ever) the differential transmission lines. Solder ground-to-ground, and 5V-to-5V, that and that only.

usb-pinout-diagram.gif

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi there,

I have one usb going out of the enclosure and two inside. Could i just solder both connections together inside the enclosure, and then solder to the usb going out?

Thats essentially what a usb hub is anyway isnt it??

Cheers guys!
No, that's not what a USB hub is doing. A USB device only sees the traffic intended for it and communication with other USB devices must go up to the controller and back down to the other device.