Can I make a tablet with an Arduino plus an Ethernet shield and a GSM shield?

amansour

Joined Mar 20, 2018
I want to create a touch screen device that should run a simple program allowing him to display a window with buttons; A touch on each one should starts a counter or send an SMS to predefined numbers.

I want to be able to access the data generated with this device (SMS sent, values of counters) from other computers connected to a local network.

Can I make this device with an Arduino plus an Ethernet shield and a GSM shield? or a raspberry PI would be better?

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I want to create a touch screen device that should run a simple program allowing him to display a window with buttons; A touch on each one should starts a counter or send an SMS to predefined numbers.

I want to be able to access the data generated with this device (SMS sent, values of counters) from other computers connected to a local network.

Can I make this device with an Arduino plus an Ethernet shield and a GSM shield? or a raspberry PI would be better?
There are many other details to consider, but one immediate concern would be screen size vs. memory. The Arduino uses a certain amount of its limited memory for each pixel, so more pixels requires more memory.

I don't remember the exact numbers now, but I remember finding that a small display (128x32 or 128x64, something like that?) was going to require most of the available memory in an Arduino Uno. Maybe I'm exaggerating and it wasn't quite that bad, but they do require significant memory allocation.

If you want a large display, that may be a reason to go Raspberry Pi.

On the other hand, you can definitely pull off what you want with a smaller display and some flavors of Arduino. I'm currently working on a project using a 320x240 touch screen with a Cortex M0 based Arduino together, and it's working well so far.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/27...N1Vn1f5HIcJ0Y9-0G0orIZaYePPcxXZRoCYasQAvD_BwE

https://www.adafruit.com/product/33...LwXvFL4Ebx2OIpE8Vn1ZMSCunZeiriNBoCP1sQAvD_BwE