Can Arduino + digital potentiometer work as a controlled vary resistor

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
Is that right general Arduino + digital potentiometer output a very voltage signal? Can it use as controlled vary resistor, say use it to replace the potentiometer in a buck converter board?

Thanks
51-wIzvwZpL._AC_UL130_.jpg

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
There are digital potentiometer ICs that can be controlled with an Arduino. Here is the spec sheet of the X9C10x family:
Thanks.
I tried to measure the output can't get the resistor.

If use it as a variable resistor, what current can it endure?

BTW. may I use a 10K Linear Potentiometer to replace the 10K BOATER Trimmer Potentiometer?
LPP.JPG Boater_3296_100k_ohm__54981.1430260746.500.500.jpg

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
You can replace the trim pot with the ones on the left in the picture but it’s not a good idea. The trim pots have multiple turns which give you finer control. The ones on the left only rotate about 3/4 of a turn.

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
You can replace the trim pot with the ones on the left in the picture but it’s not a good idea. The trim pots have multiple turns which give you finer control. The ones on the left only rotate about 3/4 of a turn.
Thank you.
I did one, but the board lost function, just output a fixed voltage no matter what input and what the POT vary. It is a LM2596 buck converter.
Why?

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Thank you.
I did one, but the board lost function, just output a fixed voltage no matter what input and what the POT vary. It is a LM2596 buck converter.
Why?
If you can't see any bad solder bridges or joints, you may have damaged the through-hole plating that connects to the different layers when you removed the old potentiometer.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I do not know if the long wire will lead to oscillations of the LM.
Try to mount the pot as close as possible to the board.

Bertus

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
You really need to provide more information... please detail exactly what is connected where:

what's your input voltage? what is the source?
what is your output load? Do you have anything connected there?
What is it doing... how do you know it's bad?

do you have a multi meter? If so please measure the potentiometer remember to turn all the way to one side then the other...

LAOADAM

Joined Nov 21, 2018
You really need to provide more information... please detail exactly what is connected where:

what's your input voltage? what is the source?
what is your output load? Do you have anything connected there?
What is it doing... how do you know it's bad?

do you have a multi meter? If so please measure the potentiometer remember to turn all the way to one side then the other...
Thanks,

what's your input voltage? what is the source? DC power supply: 0 - 24 V
what is your output load? Do you have anything connected there? LED
What is it doing... how do you know it's bad? output fixed