Can Anybody Tell Me What Resistor This Is?

doppies

Joined Jun 28, 2019
Hi guys, I am a newbie to electronics. I have checked all the resistor color calculators and can't seem to find the value of this resistor. Colors don't seem to be in the calculator or am I doing something wrong? Can somebody please help me?IMG_2019-06-28_15-27-33.jpg

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One problem if measuring zero ohms is if it there is any other circuit component affecting the reading.
May have to lift one end.
Max.

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
It may be an inductor, especially if the housing is polished. If the housing looks ceramic, it is most probably a power resistor.

The colors are quite off in your photograph. It could be...

Purple - 7
Green - 5
Yellow (?) - 4
Gold (?) - x0.1
Brown (?) - 1% tolerance
That would make a 75Ω resistor

Or:

Brown (?) - 1
Orange (?) - 3
Yellow (?) - 4
Green - x10000
Purple - 0.1% tolerance
That would make a 1.34MΩ

http://www.resistorguide.com/resistor-values/
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/resistor/res_2.html

doppies

Joined Jun 28, 2019
On the schematic it is displayed as a RX801S. I google it and the search results indicate it's a resistor. I also thought it might be something else. When in circuit the resistor joint nearest to AC shows 240v. When I put the probe on the other joint of the "resistor or whatever it is" it shows 0 volts so I'm thinking that it's damaged and yes I have tested it out of circuit.

doppies

Joined Jun 28, 2019
It may be an inductor, especially if the housing is polished. If the housing looks ceramic, it is most probably a power resistor.

The colors are quite off in your photograph. It could be...

Purple - 7
Green - 5
Yellow (?) - 4
Gold (?) - x0.1
Brown (?) - 1% tolerance
That would make a 75Ω resistor

Or:

Brown (?) - 1
Orange (?) - 3
Yellow (?) - 4
Green - x10000
Purple - 0.1% tolerance
That would make a 1.34MΩ

http://www.resistorguide.com/resistor-values/
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/resistor/res_2.html
I think you might be right thanks.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
So you get the same reading across this component as when you touch the two meter leads together?
And a different reading when the leads are not connected to anything, perhaps 0L?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
As you have the schematic why not post it so that forum members can see if there is anything connected to the resistor that will cause an incorrect reading when measuring it in circuit. It's location in the schematic will also give an idea of the likely value.

Les.

doppies

Joined Jun 28, 2019
So you get the same reading across this component as when you touch the two meter leads together?
And a different reading when the leads are not connected to anything, perhaps 0L?
My multimeter shows 1 when I switch it to Ohm values. When I measure the component off cI get 1 as well. When I measure any other resistor off circuit I get a reading.
As you have the schematic why not post it so that forum members can see if there is anything connected to the resistor that will cause an incorrect reading when measuring it in circuit. It's location in the schematic will also give an idea of the likely value.

Les.
I will do just that thanks

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
My multimeter shows 1 when I switch it to Ohm values. When I measure the component off cI get 1 as well. When I measure any other resistor off circuit I get a reading.
Does this all apply to the 20M range as well?
If so it is now open circuit and defunct (whatever it was).

doppies

Joined Jun 28, 2019
Here is the schematic and the power supply itself. I assume the resistor is the one I highlighted on the schematic. I have googled the number but can't seem to find more about the resistor. As I said I am new to electronics and appreciate everybodies help.

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Here is the schematic and the power supply itself. I assume the resistor is the one I highlighted on the schematic.
So it is a mains voltage rated 750k resistor whose purpose is to discharge the interference supression capacitors on the mains input to prevent the user getting a shock when unplugged.