Can a digital alarm clock be modified to be a switch?

Amrbadawy27

Joined Dec 27, 2021
Hi, I'm new here and also new to electronics and programming so go easy on me!

I'm trying to make an automated coffee maker, a bit like an old british Teasmade if anyone is familiar.

I have most of it designed, except i'm struggling to figure out how I can have it so that when the alarm goes off it also acts as a switch and turns on the heating element. Is there a simple way of doing this?

I don't really want a mains timer switch, i'd rather build it into the unit.
Thank you!

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
If the alarm sounder uses the radio speaker then probably detecting power being applied to the amplifier section of the radio would work. If you use a normal relay then one capable of switching the power to the heater will probably require more current than is available from the internal supply. Using a solid state relay will probably solve that problem.

Les.

Amrbadawy27

Joined Dec 27, 2021
If the alarm sounder uses the radio speaker then probably detecting power being applied to the amplifier section of the radio would work. If you use a normal relay then one capable of switching the power to the heater will probably require more current than is available from the internal supply. Using a solid state relay will probably solve that problem.

Les.
Okay thanks, i'm having to google this stuff as im reading it but that makes sense to me. Do you have a link to a schematic of how that circuit would look?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You will probably have to trace out the schematic of the amplifier section. I have just realised that I was JUST ASSUMING it is a radio alarm clock. If my assumption is wrong just ignore my post.

Les.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
First solution is to find out what chip the clock radio is using and see if you can get a datasheet for it, sometimes they have a pin going high or low when the alarm is on.