Camera Remote Operator

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Have a fairly expensive FinePix digital camera for stills or movie, but unfortunately does not have a remote operator, I have some bird nesting sites I wish to live capture, I am intending to build a remote operator.
I have a key fob remote I picked up off ebay for a couple of $$'s, So just need the operator, the first thing that comes to mind is a simple solenoid made from a miniature relay etc.
The P.B. is obviously a simple button press, I would like to make it as silent as possible, obviously.
The other thought is a simple finger like arm to depress the button.
Any other suggestions welcome.
It will be mounted on a tripod so size is not that critical.
Have yet to experiment.;)
Max.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Have a fairly expensive FinePix digital camera for stills or movie, but unfortunately does not have a remote operator, I have some bird nesting sites I wish to live capture, I am intending to build a remote operator.
I have a key fob remote I picked up off ebay for a couple of $$'s, So just need the operator, the first thing that comes to mind is a simple solenoid made from a miniature relay etc.
The P.B. is obviously a simple button press, I would like to make it as silent as possible, obviously.
The other thought is a simple finger like arm to depress the button.
Any other suggestions welcome.
It will be mounted on a tripod so size is not that critical.
Have yet to experiment.;)
Max.
Does it have a delay/timer function? It might be the second best solution

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
They make pneumatic gadgets for remote shutter operation and you could extend the tube and put a solenoid a good way away to operate it so any noise would be remote from the camera.
For example: https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-kood-pneumatic-air-shutter-release-6-metre.htm
OK something to look at, but that is made for cameras with the remote feature, but maybe same principle could be used but in my case the actuator has to be on the camera over the PB.
Max.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
That was just the first one I came across, but there are some that will fix onto the camera and press the usual shutter release.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
OK something to look at, but that is made for cameras with the remote feature, but maybe same principle could be used but in my case the actuator has to be on the camera over the PB.
Max.
With a pneumatic actuator, all you need is a thin air line and a squeeze bulb. You can get tygon tubing less than 1/8" in diameter.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would prefer to be completely remote, IOW not tethered by any kind of pnumatic tube etc, as I will be well remote from the camera, and activate via the key fob radio remote.
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi Max,

I assume you did a full Google search. I have the same issue with my Canon PowerShot SX100IS (probably much older). I couldn't believe there was no such thing as a remote release for it. The web had a solution, but that meant reloading software from an unfamiliar source.

Good luck. BTW, one of my granddaughters is into bird watching. She is visiting next week. If she gets any good pictures, I will share them.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
An RC servo solution was what someone might use 50 years ago. I am virtually certain the actual release in my Canon is electronic. One can select various delays. If your camera has delay triggering, I would keep looking for an electronic solution.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Unfortunately there is only the manual button, no delay trigger/remote etc.
I virtually have to go with the electro/mechanic add-on per the utube vid.:(
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Unfortunately there is only the manual button, no delay trigger/remote etc.
I virtually have to go with the electro/mechanic add-on per the utube vid.:(
Max.
The very old remote releases were pneumatic (e.g., Nikon F series). Convenience or less vibration than an electromechanical device? A servo will have vibration.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I investigated the possibilities some years ago and even read about the techniques employed for kite-riding cameras. I got the impression that all mechanical solutions were clunky / noisy.

I even opened one of my cameras and considered the possibilities of activating the switch electronically instead of actuating on the pushbutton. Since I had a time-lapse sequencer in mind, I even considered a compact timer in charge. With what else than a PIC?

My conclusion (never put in practice) was that it was feasible with the "surgery" to the switch as the most risky part. I vaguely recall even considering how to wake up the camera before the next click to peserve battery. Zoom and focusing said to be the most power consuming part of the process. (Also, NOISY).

I am sure that your beloved 2N7000 could be of use here. Oh sí.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes, there maybe a few mods before the final result, the receiver I have is relay output so may have to convert to semi conductor!
I don't want to do the invasive part to the P.B.
Either way, I will update the results!:cool:
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
A relay output? That is so mid-1950's. Is it on 27.225 MHz too? :)

You can pick up a new 2.4 GHz receiver for less than $20 (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-r615x-dsm2-dsmx-compatible-6ch-2-4ghz-receiver-w-cppm.html ). Used even cheaper. Of course, for bird watching in the woods, you may want to use one of the lower ground frequencies. They are dirt cheap today. A local club member would probably give you one. If you were nearby, I have plenty of 72 MHz (air) that are free.