Camera or light sensor?

Bamber17

Joined Jul 23, 2015
Thanks - the company rep asked if "there were 2 cameras" which seemed like he was expecting one!

It is pointing down - not out so it is looking at the keypad.

Bamber17

Joined Jul 23, 2015
What's a comb? :-D

Problem is this device wont get your picture unless you rest the back of your head on the keypad - it points down not out! :)

What do you think it is?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Many ATMs have a camera inside to take pictures of who is using it.

A second camera located above the device seems perfectly situated to "shoulder surf" any data manually entered, such as PIN numbers.

Why would an ATM need a light sensor anyway?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
how about a skimmer? a reader stuck to the card slot and a camera to capture the pin number on the keyboard? 6 were found in wichita over the 4th of july. bluetooths your card data and pin to someone with bad intentions.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thanks - the company rep asked if "there were 2 cameras" which seemed like he was expecting one!

It is pointing down - not out so it is looking at the keypad.
If the camera looks like it was part of the design, it could be looking for people who are trying to crack PINs or are tampering with the device.

Or it could be a hacked ATM that has a skimmer to collect info from cards and the camera is used to associate PINs with the card data.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
then what about the keyboard would be at ambient light? an ambient light sensor is usujally an unfocused broad area sensor. athe light reflected by the keyboard would dim when someone was using it,

Bamber17

Joined Jul 23, 2015
Thanks for responses - just got back to computer.

I'm going to try covering the sensor and observing the screen brightness - if that does not change I cannot see any reason for it.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
This thread is based on the misguided presumption that the manager knows what he's talking about with regard to the technicalities of cash machines. I'd presume the opposite.

The device is exactly what it appears to be.