Calculating Power Consumption

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
If your application draws a current higher than 1 amp you will need to pick a diode that is rated for the expected current.
The voltage rating on the 1N4004 was an overkill, any diode that has a voltage rating greater than the plugpack output voltage will be ok.

shankaryr

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Hey there,

I was just curious. How do i calculate the power consumed by a microcontroller? the uC i am looking at has a max current rating of 5 mA. In sleep it draws uA amount of current. If i just use the uC once every ten - 15 minutes in active mode and the rest in sleep, how much current will it draw per hour. I am curious as I need to select a button cell which has to embedded on the chip with my uC.

Thanks.
Shankar

ericmar

Joined May 16, 2008
I was wondering if it is possible to use power MOSFET to control the switching between the supply input if both the DC input and battery input voltage are of the same voltage. If DC input is plugged in when the system is running on batteries supply, the power will be switched automatically to the DC input and cut-off the batteries supply. Any comment?

Thanks.