Calculate the Resistor Applied Power ?

uhdam

Joined Jan 24, 2013
In my circuit I am applying input supply voltage 12V to the circuit to enable the channel of the device. Between the input supply and the enable pin I am keeping 10K ohm resistor. I want to know the formula to calculate the Resistor applied power value ?
I am using ohm's law formula to know the value of the applied power, but I am not getting the correct value what the value suppose to have?
So, Is there any another formula to calculate the Resistor Applied Power ?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The power formula is derived from Ohm's Law.

V is the voltage across the resistor
R is the resistance
You can find current by dividing V by R

Current = V/R and,

Power = V x I
So current x voltage = V x (V/R) = V^2/R

upload_2017-1-4_13-20-2.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
In my circuit I am applying input supply voltage 12V to the circuit to enable the channel of the device. Between the input supply and the enable pin I am keeping 10K ohm resistor. I want to know the formula to calculate the Resistor applied power value ?
I am using ohm's law formula to know the value of the applied power, but I am not getting the correct value what the value suppose to have?
So, Is there any another formula to calculate the Resistor Applied Power ?
Are we supposed to use a crystal ball to figure out what your circuit is or how you are trying to calculate anything?

We are NOT mind readers!

Post your circuit and, more importantly your work. That will let us figure out where you are going wrong.

uhdam

Joined Jan 24, 2013
The power formula is derived from Ohm's Law.

V is the voltage across the resistor
R is the resistance
You can find current by dividing V by R

Current = V/R and,

Power = V x I
So current x voltage = V x (V/R) = V^2/R

View attachment 117997
As I said the ohm's law doesn't works in my condition. I am just applying 12V to VDD of gate driver and output of the gate driver connecting to the gate terminal of the MOSFET with 10 ohm resistance as a gate resistance, resistor applied power was noted/calculated as a 11mW power. So, I was wondering that how they are calculated ? Which formula they have used ?. I have a calculated value and I don't have any formula and procedure.

uhdam

Joined Jan 24, 2013
Are we supposed to use a crystal ball to figure out what your circuit is or how you are trying to calculate anything?

We are NOT mind readers!

Post your circuit and, more importantly your work. That will let us figure out where you are going wrong.
As I said the ohm's law doesn't works in my condition. I am just applying 12V to VDD of gate driver and output of the gate driver connecting to the gate terminal of the MOSFET with 10 ohm resistance as a gate resistance, resistor applied power was noted/calculated as a 11mW power. So, I was wondering that how they are calculated ? Which formula they have used ?. I have a calculated value and I don't have any formula and procedure.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
As I said the ohm's law doesn't works in my condition.
When you say Ohm's Law doesn't work, that is like saying your circle is not round and your square does not have corners. Nobody believes you.

While you refuse to give additional information, nobody can help you.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I am sorry that I did not understand your question at first.

This partial gate current waveform was taken from Figure 5 of the pdf file to which Thumb2 linked in the post above.

You can use the power formula
upload_2017-1-5_11-49-6.png

To do so take the average of upload_2017-1-5_11-49-45.pngover one cycle and multiply that by the resistance.