calculate resistor values

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
Hi all,

In my circuit, I need to use the unity gain amplifier by using the inverting amplifier as a voltage inverter. But, I don't know how to choose/calculate the Rf and Rin resistor values for the inverting amplifier. In my case, The output current of the inverting amplifier maximum 20mA. So, Please, could you help me what range of resistor values need to be chosen?.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Rin will be the input impedance of the circuit. Choose a value that the source can easily drive. For unity gain the feedback resistor is the same as the input resistor as @ericgibbs said.
The op amp has to drive the feedback resistor, so choose a value so that Vout/Rfb << 20mA.

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
hi pp,
Inverting OPA Gain = -Rfb/Rin,
so if Rin = 4k7 and Rfb =4k7 Gain = -1

E
Thank you Eric.

Is there any description or calculations?, why you chosen Rin = Rfb = 4k7?. And also I have seen that the people use to use the 1k/4k7/10k resistors. Why these resistors are most popular?.

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
If you have 10V output, it will take 10mA to drive the 1k feedback resistor. Your op-amp can only drive 20mA, so there is only 10mA left to drive any external load. So, it‘s not a problem unless you have a load of <1k.

I wonder if 4.7k is so popular because it was de facto standard pull-up resistor for TTL so everyone had a drawer full of them.

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
hi pp,
Post a circuit diagram, then we can follow what you are trying to do, rather than guessing.:)

E
Hi Eric,

The chosen Rin and Rf resistors are shown in the below circuits. And also, I would like to know how to calculate the output current of AD8091 ?.

First circuit is designed to invert the voltage.
Second circuit is designed to increase the output voltage.
But, the output current of the both the circuits shall be maximum 20mA.

1629445817931.png

1629445961468.png

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi pp,
The 2nd circuit is incorrect, if I follow your thinking.? the 25k and 1k should be switched around.

BUT you cannot get a Gain of 25 with a 5Vdc input.

I will post a circuit that may suit.
E

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Hi Eric,

The chosen Rin and Rf resistors are shown in the below circuits. And also, I would like to know how to calculate the output current of AD8091 ?.

First circuit is designed to invert the voltage.
But, the output current of the both the circuits shall be maximum 20mA.

View attachment 246056

View attachment 246057
The second circuit DOES increase the output voltage, but not by much.
\(
Gain=1+\frac{R2}{R1}
\)
which works out to be 1.04.

The output current depends on the load resistance which you have not shown.
\(
I_{out}=\frac{V_{out}}{R2}+\frac{V_{out}}{R_{load}}\)

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
hi pp,
The 2nd circuit is incorrect, if I follow your thinking.? the 25k and 1k should be switched around.

BUT you cannot get a Gain of 25 with a 5Vdc input.

I will post a circuit that may suit.
E
The second circuit I have increased the output voltage to 5.2V with the gain of 1.04. I think it's correct.

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
The second circuit DOES increase the output voltage, but not by much.
\(
Gain=1+\frac{R2}{R1}
\)
which works out to be 1.04.

The output current depends on the load resistance which you have not shown.
\(
I_{out}=\frac{V_{out}}{R2}+\frac{V_{out}}{R_{load}}\)
Yes, it will increase the voltage from 5V to 5.2V with the gain of 1.04.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
The Ad8091 is capable of 45mA output current, so 20mA output plus 10mA in the feedback resistor (if you use 1k resistors) won’t be a problem.
However, it has an Absolute Maximum power supply voltage of 12.6V and you have 24V. That will be a problem.

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
The Ad8091 is capable of 45mA output current, so 20mA output plus 10mA in the feedback resistor (if you use 1k resistors) won’t be a problem.
However, it has an Absolute Maximum power supply voltage of 12.6V and you have 24V. That will be a problem.
Where this 20mA comes from?. As per your formula which you provided, the Iout is 10mA. That's it right?. If I'm wrong correct me.

The second circuit is designed to increase the voltage and deliver the maximum 20mA current.