CAD Software for Electrical (not PCB level)

jannerfish

Joined Jan 21, 2016
Hi what are some good CAD options for electrical systems design in general, rather than packages dedicated to PCB design and board level schematics? FOSS would be nice.

I've used MS Visio and it is quite easy to use but would like to explore other options. I'm considering proficad which looks ok.

Thanks

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have drawn hundreds of circuit drawings using Autocad, different versions. It is handy because the "grid function allows uniform line spacing, and the "Blocks" function allows library availability of standard JIC symbols. An additional advantage is that it is simple and easy to also generate mechanical details when needed with no need to learn a different program.
The down side is that it does not allow circuit checking if the conductor lines do not quite touch, and at least the versions that I used did not support simulation. But who simulates electrical stuff?
also, clients can open the drawings with their cad programs.

techman-001

Joined Jan 13, 2021
Hi what are some good CAD options for electrical systems design in general, rather than packages dedicated to PCB design and board level schematics? FOSS would be nice.

I've used MS Visio and it is quite easy to use but would like to explore other options. I'm considering proficad which looks ok.

Thanks
I have used the OSS 'gEDA' schematic capture package named gSchem for the last 30 years. It runs on Linux and other Unix based PC's and there may even be some Windows ports for it around on the web.

http://wiki.geda-project.org/geda:gaf.

I mainly use it for electronics, but I found it was also excellent for network diagrams which tend to be a bit blobs and wires in a drawing.
Components are easy to make, so you can quickly make your own electrical symbols.

This is a example from a old customer network quote and as you can see it has a bit of everything. Output can be images or print files at any of the usual "A" paper sizes.
It can generate netlists, boms, all the usual stuff for a competent CAD package.

gschem-example.jpg