Cable Remote hack for Seniors

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Is it possible to hack a cable box remote to make it easier to use?
My elderly mother has terrible trouble trying to see the (Suddenlink) remote buttons, and has to have help getting what she wants to view. These remotes these days are so jam-packed with functions…aaaargggggg…
I’ve seen simple ones advertised but two functions she likes are the LIST and GUIDE buttons—the ones I’ve seen only have VOL, CHANNEL, and possibly MUTE. I’m also going to have her try one of those giant Universal ones from WallyWorld, but I still think it’s too crowded for her failing eyesight.
thanks for any guidance.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
My son used an AWS app connected to an Amazon Alexa to help his wife's grandfather overcome his issues with seeing small print on a remote control. Unfortunately, his Alzheimer's made it a challenge to remember who was going to help him control his TV - Alex, Alecia, Lexie, hey, a little help, miss, dammit...

the answer that can help you greatly depends on whether you are looking for a recommendation for a consumer product, something you want to build yourself, something you want to build yourself and include programming, wifi, and any other depth of complexity.

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
My son used an AWS app connected to an Amazon Alexa to help his wife's grandfather overcome his issues with seeing small print on a remote control. Unfortunately, his Alzheimer's made it a challenge to remember who was going to help him control his TV - Alex, Alecia, Lexie, hey, a little help, miss, dammit...

the answer that can help you greatly depends on whether you are looking for a recommendation for a consumer product, something you want to build yourself, something you want to build yourself and include programming, wifi, and any other depth of complexity.
I was thinking back to many years ago when I physically attached some thin leads to the remote circuitry—and made my own tethered “remote” with just a few functions I needed. However I’m pretty sure that today’s circuitry doesn’t allow for that kind of jury-rigging…lol…
I don’t have a lot of time like I used to (many years of being single until last year) to be able to go in-depth on putting something complicated together. So, other than buying something commercial I was curious if maybe someone knew of another way—remember, she likes to be able to reach those other two functions that I’ve not seen on the commercial ones…

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Learning remotes with minimal buttons can be purchased. Here's an example from Amazon with only 5 buttons: power, vol-up, vol-down, chan-up and chan-down.

https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Con...ocphy=9033455&hvtargid=pla-475215864878&psc=1
Thanks much. Yes I’ve been looking at a few but would need those additional two functions that she uses a lot…
My wife ran across a jumbo one she had, and even though it has too many buttons, mom just might be able to make out the print and her fingers should do better at staying on the proper button…

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the cable box is leased and the remote is part of the lease then my suggestion may not be good.
That is to open the remote, and just like was mentioned, solder some wires to the traces where that button is located. It will require a good magnifier and it will also require a fine-tipped soldering iron. and steady hands.

But another trick that is much simpler will be to very carefully paint the tops of those buttons for the desired functions. A much brighter color than the matte black will make them more visible, and colors like bright blue, yellow, red, and white should help quite a bit. And it might possibly be that the cable company has alternative remotes available. Probably worth asking about.

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
If the cable box is leased and the remote is part of the lease then my suggestion may not be good.
That is to open the remote, and just like was mentioned, solder some wires to the traces where that button is located. It will require a good magnifier and it will also require a fine-tipped soldering iron. and steady hands.

But another trick that is much simpler will be to very carefully paint the tops of those buttons for the desired functions. A much brighter color than the matte black will make them more visible, and colors like bright blue, yellow, red, and white should help quite a bit. And it might possibly be that the cable company has alternative remotes available. Probably worth asking about.
Amen! I was thinking the same along those lines, but figured a call to Suddenlink Tech Monday might get me a better idea on which way to go…I would have thought a cable company would consider older folks and offer a less function model, but…
The painting of the buttons is probably not going to help at this point—her vision has become horrible with cataracts as well as Macular Degeneration—she’s on Hospice care and even though she’s done quite well for a couple years, at 84 now she may not have much time…(She is nowhere near ready to leave us, BUT I can’t help but believe if I can get her eyes worked on, she might be able to again enjoy more things, which could add more time for her…)

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You can build an IR remote relatively simply using an Arduino compatible MCU, a couple of components, and this library.

You can make the buttons any switch you like, large or small and the functions whatever you prefer.

[EDIT: Went from “coupe” to “couple”]
That link certainly leads to a whole lot of information. An incredible whole ocean of information, in fact.

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
That link certainly leads to a whole lot of information. An incredible whole ocean of information, in fact.
Yes, but sadly I’ve found I’ve so many things I’m dabbling in nowadays with my new marriage and older age, I just can’t devote the time nor wrap my mind around these things like I used to…

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Yes, but sadly I’ve found I’ve so many things I’m dabbling in nowadays with my new marriage and older age, I just can’t devote the time nor wrap my mind around these things like I used to…
The result of seeing all that data and information is to see that a software approach is quite daunting indeed. Back to soldering wires into a remote.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The result of seeing all that data and information is to see that a software approach is quite daunting indeed. Back to soldering wires into a remote.
You don’t have to know or use all the information to create a practical device. If using a microcontroller required you to understand its entire datasheet it wound seem impossible to employ one.

Most of the data there is either irrelevant or abstracted away if you are only interested in making something practical and is only relevant if you are going to eschew the abstractions the tool (library) offers or extend the tool itself.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Instead of modifying the remote, fix the eyes. Then the elderly people can also see the TV and see YOU much better.

When I became elderly I got cataracts in both eyes that completely blinded me. It is a common medical problem and an eye surgeon has a quick fix for it. My eyes were measured then custom synthetic lenses were made to match. The mew lenses are inside my eyes and block damaging UV rays so that I do not need sunglasses and now I can see perfectly.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Instead of modifying the remote, fix the eyes. Then the elderly people can also see the TV and see YOU much better.

When I became elderly I got cataracts in both eyes that completely blinded me. It is a common medical problem and an eye surgeon has a quick fix for it. My eyes were measured then custom synthetic lenses were made to match. The mew lenses are inside my eyes and block damaging UV rays so that I do not need sunglasses and now I can see perfectly.
The OP,can also modify the remote with simple fingernail polish to highlight the buttons the elderly user needs (neon yellow, neon pink and other great colors are available). A small outline is all it takes.

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015

I only wish it were that easy…mom is declining faster, with each day. And that is making it nearly impossible to get her to the necessary doctors about an hour’s drive away. And with her Macular condition she’s been told there’s no improvement. However I can see the cataracts and feel if they were corrected she would have more ability and better mindset. We’re trying…

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
Watching a loved one age can be very tough. My partner took care of his 94 year old grandmother during the initial phase of the Covid pandemic. By all rights, she should have been in a nursing home, but to put someone suffering from dementia in a nursing home at that time would have been cruel; everyone gowned and masked so you couldn't even recognize people, no communal dining or activities, no visitors.....

One of the things he did for her was to get a power-lift recliner to help her get up from her chair. Simple, right? Not so much. She couldn't remember to push the button when she wanted to stand up. No matter how much or often it was explained. She had to knack for deciding to get up the moment nobody was paying attention to her. You'd look up and here she was, sliding her butt out onto the footrest part of the recliner. Fortunately, we always managed to spot her before disaster hit.

But the remote got a workout. The phone would ring. She'd hold the remote to her ear and wonder why nobody was there. Or, why does my chair move when I try to change the TV channel?

When my dad was in assisted living, he was having a tough time to read the analog clock to tell when it was time for dinner or activities. Obviously, a digital clock would be easier to read, right? Wrong. He could read the numbers from the clock, say 5:55. But there's actually a lot of processing to get from 5:55 to "6 o'clock – time for dinner." I wrote about this here. That's when the meal minder clock was conceived, using just the hour hand on a 24 hour clock movement.

meal clock.JPG

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Watching a loved one age can be very tough. My partner took care of his 94 year old grandmother during the initial phase of the Covid pandemic. By all rights, she should have been in a nursing home, but to put someone suffering from dementia in a nursing home at that time would have been cruel; everyone gowned and masked so you couldn't even recognize people, no communal dining or activities, no visitors.....

One of the things he did for her was to get a power-lift recliner to help her get up from her chair. Simple, right? Not so much. She couldn't remember to push the button when she wanted to stand up. No matter how much or often it was explained. She had to knack for deciding to get up the moment nobody was paying attention to her. You'd look up and here she was, sliding her butt out onto the footrest part of the recliner. Fortunately, we always managed to spot her before disaster hit.

But the remote got a workout. The phone would ring. She'd hold the remote to her ear and wonder why nobody was there. Or, why does my chair move when I try to change the TV channel?

When my dad was in assisted living, he was having a tough time to read the analog clock to tell when it was time for dinner or activities. Obviously, a digital clock would be easier to read, right? Wrong. He could read the numbers from the clock, say 5:55. But there's actually a lot of processing to get from 5:55 to "6 o'clock – time for dinner." I wrote about this here. That's when the meal minder clock was conceived, using just the hour hand on a 24 hour clock movement.

View attachment 266774
Wow…watching the aging—so true. Love the clock idea. Thanks for sharing.