Bypass mode button to always on Humidifier

Mabuhamad

Joined Jul 30, 2022
Hello,

I am trying to bypass a mode button on a simple humidifier, to start when power is supplied as oposed to the standard push button which has a few mode selection, with a long press mode to control the LEDs and 2 or 3 modes for humidication...

attached the circuit, I'm completely uneducated about circuits and from my search it seems that IC is a 555 timer but I don't even know what that means...

I appreciate any help as I'm trying to connect the humidifier to a wifi power socket and automate it...

Thanks
Moe

Edit, I just realized the title says a dehumidifier, I miss typed, it is a simple humidifier not a dehumidifier...[Mod Edited]

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What sort of humidifier?? Depending on what elements are powered it might be possible to bypass the entire control assembly. But if it is an ultrasonic type, then no, it can not be that simple. There are many different types of humidifiers.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One more consideration is that adding humidity is not something that happens quickly at least not with normal equipment. So really a hmidifier is a device to run for days, not minutes. And still we have no hint as to the kind of humidifier.

Mabuhamad

Joined Jul 30, 2022
What sort of humidifier?? Depending on what elements are powered it might be possible to bypass the entire control assembly. But if it is an ultrasonic type, then no, it can not be that simple. There are many different types of humidifiers.
It is an ultrasonic humidifier, I tested voltage across the ultrasonic atomizer and it tested in mV range so I figured I can't just wire them directly, I think I have to jump wire to some components that convert the voltage to the appropriate voltage bur I don't know which components on the circuit that do this...

One more consideration is that adding humidity is not something that happens quickly at least not with normal equipment. So really a hmidifier is a device to run for days, not minutes. And still we have no hint as to the kind of humidifier.
I live in the tropics, humidity is usually very high here so it won't take much to do the job in a small room, but when the AC is on it gets lower considerably, so the solution would kick in when the AC is on and would turn off once I turn off the AC. Thanks for your response..

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The voltage across the piezo-electric disc is an AC voltage from a fairly high frequency, high impedance, source, so it is not likely that you had an accurate measurement with a normal voltmeter. So the circuit board includes an oscillator circuit to provide that high frequency voltage.
so bypassing the electronics will not work.
Adding a circuit to simulate a series of button presses when power is applied could certainly be done, but it would require a fair amount of ability to assemble it and make the connections for the installation.

Mabuhamad

Joined Jul 30, 2022
The voltage across the piezo-electric disc is an AC voltage from a fairly high frequency, high impedance, source, so it is not likely that you had an accurate measurement with a normal voltmeter. So the circuit board includes an oscillator circuit to provide that high frequency voltage.
so bypassing the electronics will not work.
Adding a circuit to simulate a series of button presses when power is applied could certainly be done, but it would require a fair amount of ability to assemble it and make the connections for the installation.

Thanks, that's very informative information, I don't think I will be able to do your suggestion so I am wondering if i could build or buy a "driver" to power the discs? What should I look for to go this route?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
All of the ultrasonic humidifiers that i have owned and still own simply have an ON/Off switch, although most of them also havea rotary level control so that the switch is at the start of the rotation. So it should be simple to locate a unit that does not suffer from feature bloat, with too may buttons to press instead of a simple knob to turn.