bypass capacitor type

pager48

Joined Nov 25, 2018
Which would perform better a 50v 0805 100nF MLCC or a 250v 100nF Mylar THT capacitor? This is for bypassing a power supply traces such as a gate driver power pin.

Attachments

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Be careful of the ripple current, the film capacitor might be more tolerant than the ceramic capacitor. Ripple current can kill parts so be sure to take that into account.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
That must be a skinny little 1.8 A pulse. The X5R is rated at higher temperature, so maybe that is a beneficial difference, though with that low IRMS heating should not be a problem. Have you checked the catalog for the particular part you intend to use to see whether it tells you anything. The 1.8 could be of concern.

Daniel Sala

Joined May 28, 2015
Hi all!

This is an interesting thread. Not an expert but I love capacitors. Quirky. I'm really posting to get to 10 posts to be able to send a PM to change my username but while I'm here, I was surprised to read a comparison of X7R (that I had thought for a long time were "top notch" MLCC) and NPO/C0G and saw that they are worlds apart - shame about the price difference. X5R is verging on (bad) electrolytic world, imo. Polyester is self-healing, fwiw. I would read the specific manufacturer's datasheet regarding peak current permissible.