Buzzer challenge/project.

Goofoff5

Joined Mar 13, 2018
Ok, so I have a basic understanding of things and I hit a roadblock on a project. I need a buzzer for a project at work. We were traveling and decided I could do this out of simple things we had on hand. The switch was easy. The buzzer, I thought would be easy too, we have all these old smoke alarms for some reason. So, the challenge. Use only componets off a smoke detector to make the buzzer. Soldering is available.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Where's the old buzzer in your photos? Did it have its own oscillator or does that chip in the black circle provide that function? What's the number on that chip?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That chip does not look like a buzzer. Albeit some new buzzer chips are quite small, the buzzers I have seen in older alarms are round and have a hole in them to let the sound out.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
A buzzer is one type of thing, and a piezo beeper is a very different thing. Do you know which device you have?

Image of the underside of the board?

Is the detection chamber the large round three-legged part?

ak

Goofoff5

Joined Mar 13, 2018
And as for photos of underneath, I just packet it up to head to the next hotel. As soon as I get there, I will dig it to take a photo

Goofoff5

Joined Mar 13, 2018
I really just can't figure out where the transistor is. I wierd up a piezo buzzer before, a couple resisters and a bc568 transistor I think it was and done. I see nothing comparable here, I plan to remove the resistors i need, but... that's about as far as I figured out

Goofoff5

Joined Mar 13, 2018
I am pretty sure they leads are just soldered to the back of the disk but again, it will be a minute before I can check

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
OK, that looks like the buzzer. Now you need to trace the three wires back to the PCB. In all likelihood, the white wire is the signal.

If it is connected to an IC [edit] or transistor to an IC, try to get the numbers. Spit and oblique light help. Some of the markings are laser etched and very hard to see. However, it is not unheard of for manufacturers to use unmarked IC's.

Last edited:

Goofoff5

Joined Mar 13, 2018
Sorry, I didn't word that correctly. I understand how the smoke detector works, where is the transistor that lets the buzzer work?

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
A 3-terminal piezo disc needs an inverting amplifier with gain to oscillate and make sound. The piezo element is both an electro-mechanical resonant device (crystal) and the speaker. The amplifier can be a single transistor (lowest cost) or an inverter (CD40106, etc.). The chip is a part custom designed as a smoke detector controller. 99% chance that the amplifier for the piezo beeper is on the chip.

Here are examples of both circuits.

ak