bus blower motor

s214519

Joined Dec 10, 2014
I got a couple motors for free today. They're blower motor for a bus I think (DCM D-001-490). There's 5 wires coming out and I was wondering if someone could help me on how to wire them.

s214519

Joined Dec 10, 2014
So for clockwise, orange or red is positive then black and blue go together, then yellow goes to ground right?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That's the way I read it.

Besides, if it runs backwards, just re-wire it the other way. What have you lost if you weren't thinking correctly, "Clockwise looking at it from which end?"

Most of the motors I meet, I'm looking at their butts. Makes it difficult for me to remember which end to declare as clockwise.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
i think those large diesel vehicles sometimes use 24 volt systems. at least they do on starting systems, cabin equipment might be twelve volt still.
Hell, I do not know for sure. just something to consider

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
If I ran this motor off, say, a car battery, it would only draw the amperage it needs right?
yes, You should fuse the wire with an inline fuse, like the plastic plug in type. Size likely 20 amp. Depends also on how long your wire is to minimize voltage drop.
Likely a 12 gauge wire you will use.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If this is a two winding wound field, which I see no other choice, the high speed would normally be the lower current, (weaker field).
Max.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
There are more than one size of inline fuse holders and they are made for different amperages. I have used the 30Amp one several times in the automotive world and had very good success with them.

PS, I have had bad results using in-line plastic fuse holders for more than 10 amps. They melt. Try to get a good quality fuse holder.[/QUOTE]

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
PS, I have had bad results using in-line plastic fuse holders for more than 10 amps. They melt. Try to get a good quality fuse holder.
There are different size inline fuse holders for different amperages. I have used the 30Amp fuse holder with great success in the automotive and truck electrical repair business without incident.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
i was referring to the ATO style blade fuses. Most places carry two sizes, 30 Amp and 20 Amp. They have been good for me. Very seldom do i ever use glass fuses anymore. Word of caution though to stay away from offshore ATO fuses and holders. I have had a 10 Amp fuse carry up to 30 Amps during testing.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@ post#14
Oh yeah. Those work There is no plastic in them.
The cheap, inline fuse holders you get at the auto parts store or Radio Shack are weak.
The ATO fuses can even be used with spade connectors...which I carry in my truck.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Go to a auto wrecker and get a small relay fuse dist. panel they vary is size and amperage, use the relays to switch the speed and use the fusing it comes with?
Max.