Bullet Gun

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I was reading some articles about the new gun laws signed in CA.

When I was a young fella, I used to reload and plink a lot. But have not kept up on it.

The term "bullet gun" was used. What is a bullet gun? A cursory google search tells little.
The articles say a bullet gun requires the point of a bullet (or point tool) to eject the clip.

Is the article definition correct?

Why would one design or want such a weapon?

AND, if it's already legal, why ban it?

What did I miss?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I was reading some articles about the new gun laws signed in CA.

When I was a young fella, I used to reload and plink a lot. But have not kept up on it.

The term "bullet gun" was used. What is a bullet gun? A cursory google search tells little.
The articles say a bullet gun requires the point of a bullet (or point tool) to eject the clip.

Is the article definition correct?

Why would one design or want such a weapon?

AND, if it's already legal, why ban it?

What did I miss?
Links to the articles would be helpful.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I think what you are referring to is what California anti-gunners call a "Bullet Button", which in reality is a magazine release. California wants you to have to use a tool to extract and replace the magazine in certain kinds of rifles. California, the land of insane bureaucrats.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I couldn't figure out the reasoning behind it, unless it was to discourage flat nose or hollow point ammunition.

Still can't figure it out.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I think what you are referring to is what California anti-gunners call a "Bullet Button", which in reality is a magazine release. California wants you to have to use a tool to extract and replace the magazine in certain kinds of rifles. California, the land of insane bureaucrats.
A button release for the magazine allows one to release the magazine and clear the chamber without having to manipulate the rifle. Same goes for handgun.

It seems to me any so-called safety device that would require more manipulation of a loaded gun would increase the risk of an accident. If the purpose is to make it slower to reload, that second added to the process would surely be offset by the added risk.

John

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
A button release for the magazine allows one to release the magazine and clear the chamber without having to manipulate the rifle. Same goes for handgun.

It seems to me any so-called safety device that would require more manipulation of a loaded gun would increase the risk of an accident. If the purpose is to make it slower to reload, that second added to the process would surely be offset by the added risk.

John
I can't see how the chamber could be cleared without the bolt being withdrawn from battery position.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I can't see how the chamber could be cleared without the bolt being withdrawn from battery position.
Exactly. You remove the magazine/clip, eject the unfired cartridge (if there is one), then leave the bolt open. Some people will place an obstruction in it. In the case of a rifle, it is then easier and safer to reposition it for cleaning. I would never trust failure to fire a presumed shell as indicative that the gun was safe to clean. And until it was clearly safe with an open bolt, I would consider it loaded and keep it pointed in a safe direction.

John

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Exactly. You remove the magazine/clip, eject the unfired cartridge (if there is one), then leave the bolt open. Some people will place an obstruction in it. In the case of a rifle, it is then easier and safer to reposition it for cleaning. I would never trust failure to fire a presumed shell as indicative that the gun was safe to clean. And until it was clearly safe with an open bolt, I would consider it loaded and keep it pointed in a safe direction.

John
I agree with all of that; I just don't see how that avoids manipulating the action or what it has to do with a "Bullet Button" whatever that is.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I was referring to post #4. If a special tool was required to remove the magazine, rather than simply reaching below the gun and pressing a button, the extra manipulations to get the tool and use it would lead to more manipulation of a potentially loaded gun.

John

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Since I was a child, my Teaching is always treat guns as loaded and the mussel should be away from anyone nearby. Eject the clip and clearing the chamber, to insure their is not a bullet in the gun unless you intend on using the weapon. It's people who treat loaded guns as objects like a tool that can be placed in an area where ignorant people or small children can find them and pick them up. Thats when accidents happen.

Not many people know proper gun safety, many purchase them and hunt or target practice and then forget and leave them laying around. Ignorance is not bliss.

kv

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Agreed, and leaving your finger outside the trigger guard (bale?) unless you are aimed and firing is one of the simplest things to do and one that some ignore. Some recent accidental deaths might well have been averted, if that rule had been followed without exception.

John

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Eject the clip and clearing the chamber...
Then, visually and tactiley confirm cleared chamber, point muzzle in safe direction and pull trigger.

Edit: repeat each time the weapon leaves your hands and always prior to handing the weapon to someone else.

When I am around another person, I always perform this in front of him, demonstrating the weapon is clear and safe. Two reasons: that person knows the weapon is safe and 2) maybe he'll pick up and demonstrate the same habit.

If someone hands you a weapon that you know is clear and safe, repeat the above anyway.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Then, visually and tactiley confirm cleared chamber, point muzzle in safe direction and pull trigger.

Edit: repeat each time the weapon leaves your hands and always prior to handing the weapon to someone else.

When I am around another person, I always perform this in front of him, demonstrating the weapon is clear and safe. Two reasons: that person knows the weapon is safe and 2) maybe he'll pick up and demonstrate the same habit.

If someone hands you a weapon that you know is clear and safe, repeat the above anyway.
Be careful of taking a gun from holster with the butt of the gun forward facing you. I was tricked into placing a gun back into the forward facing holster.

If they offer it to you insist on them removing for you, now their finger prints are on the gun and yours. If they hand it holding the barrel butt first, find a rag and carefully wipe your finger prints off and hand it back to them butt first holding the trigger guard upside down if you can.

If not that weapon can be used to commit a crime and you become the shooter. That happened to me once, later that night a man was shot. Luckily I had an alibi.

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Was his name Volt?
I'm sure there is something snarky by your question, since Joe enjoys your comment.

But I really don't know nor did I care. I've never been involved in evening affair as was the lifestyle of others at that time. Drinking in bars have never been something, I've ever enjoyed or doing drugs.

Thankfully, I was never approached by authorities concerning the incident. But, till this day have often wondered if it was this person who committed the shooting or not.

kv