Building timer circuit

98QuadCabV10

Joined Oct 20, 2012
I’m trying to build a timer circuit that would be off for about and hour maybe 2hrs and on for 5 mins. This will power either a 9 volt dc relay or a 24vac relay. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I could use to build it? In the past I’ve used 555 timers but I’ve never tried to program it for anything over a few seconds.

Thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What are your restrictions on solution space? If the off time can be variable, a microcontroller solution would be the easiest solution.

This will power either a 9 volt dc relay or a 24vac relay.
What do you mean by this? Are you talking about the coil or the contacts?

98QuadCabV10

Joined Oct 20, 2012
The contacts of the relay will only have 9-24 volts running through it.
This is to power a small solinoid valve. Thank you for your help. I wasn’t set on building it myself. From the research I did I couldn’t find anything that would work. That programmable timer should work perfectly for what I need.

Thanks again for your help.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
First, there are a ton of timer modules on ebay that are cheap, programmable, and cheap. But ...

Second, do you really want to build something (which I highly support) or just get something done - which means Amazon / ebay / Walmart. A plug-in lamp timer that switches AC power to a wall wart will do what you want.

ak