Building a battery operated 12v ozone generator (500mg)

Rick1985

Joined Jun 8, 2018
Help is needed. Building a battery operated 12v ozone generator. I've seen many do it all over the internet but when I created mine, upon hooking my battery to it, my transformer to the ozone plate immediately fried itself. The 12v fan wired in parallel with the small transformer was just fine and kept on blowing no problem.

Pretty simple schematics (attached). 12v ozone generator/plate with a +wire and -wire, wired in parallel to a small 12v fan (picture of both these attached). Both these wired to a + and - wire with DC female end. The Lithium-Ion battery (attached) plugs into the female DC jack using the male DC end from battery.
Ozone Generator.jpg

Fired right up once plugged in, 3 seconds later - over heating in transformer, smoking, then toast.

Lithium Ion specs (also in pic):
- 12v 20Ah. Maximum charge/discharge current 3A
IMG_2623 (1).JPG
Ozone transformer/plate specs:
- 0.7 Amps
- 12 Watts
Fan:
- 0.16 Amps
Untitled-1.jpg

"Battery voltage" via multi-meter read 10.8 - 11.1v (which should be fine...?)

I've seen these connections made all over the internet, yet mine failed with flying colors. Any thoughts out there? Should I try a splitter cable to separate the transformer and fan? Is a fuse needed? or a voltage regulator?

Rick1985

Joined Jun 8, 2018
What is this "ozone plate"?
Sounds like it's shorted.
The "ozone plate" is a piece of metal on a slate that is powered by the transformer... upon heating up, it glows purple and produces "ozone". The fan then blows across the plate to dispers the ozone into the air. The "transformer" which powers the metal plate, is what fried upon hooking up the battery.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The "ozone plate" is a piece of metal on a slate that is powered by the transformer... upon heating up, it glows purple and produces "ozone". The fan then blows across the plate to dispers the ozone into the air. The "transformer" which powers the metal plate, is what fried upon hooking up the battery.
Ozone launches best off a pin point - some commercial ozone generators solder an actual dressmakers pin on the end of the wire. A gun barrel brush has lots of pointy bits and allegedly works very well.

How literal is the description; "transformer" - the usual type let the magic smoke out if you hit them with DC.

Rick1985

Joined Jun 8, 2018
Ozone launches best off a pin point - some commercial ozone generators solder an actual dressmakers pin on the end of the wire. A gun barrel brush has lots of pointy bits and allegedly works very well.

How literal is the description; "transformer" - the usual type let the magic smoke out if you hit them with DC.
Wish I knew how literal... That is just what the maker calls it...? Are you suggesting that cutting off the dc ends and doing a "direct wire connection" would be better? And avoid using a DC end...?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Wish I knew how literal... That is just what the maker calls it...? Are you suggesting that cutting off the dc ends and doing a "direct wire connection" would be better? And avoid using a DC end...?
I think the potential problem being raised is that the transformer might not be meant for DC power. Many require an AC source. Can you link to the one you got, or find more detail about it?

Rick1985

Joined Jun 8, 2018
Here is a link to the item I bought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-DC-500-mg-hr-Moisture-Proof-Ozone-Generator-Kit-with-a-12v-Fan/182486658520?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If for some reason that link doesn't work, you can type in this exact listing title into the search bar. Several options will probably come up, they are all essentially the same. "12 Volt DC - 500 mg/hr Moisture Proof Ozone Generator Kit with a 12v Fan"

I did check the polarity. All should be good there. I am relatively experienced electronically. That is why this one has me confused, lol.

The listing says it's rated for "DC" in the listing title. Of course it is from China, so that doesn't mean an AC connection wouldn't be better. I would not know how to wire a battery pack to this setup using AC connections. I believe I would need an inverter at that point? Correct if I am wrong.

I did plug an AC Adapter wall charger (12v) directly into the setup, and it worked great. No problems at all. I forgot to mention that in the beginning. So there is a problem with the chemistry/relationship between my battery back and the setup. The wall charger was DC connected to the setup.

BTW thanks for everyone's help so far.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I did plug an AC Adapter wall charger (12v) directly into the setup, and it worked great.
Did this adapter have a DC output? Assuming it did, it should not have been a factor.

Based on the information we have, I'd say it just went bad and should be replaced under warranty.

Rick1985

Joined Jun 8, 2018
Did this adapter have a DC output? Assuming it did, it should not have been a factor.

Based on the information we have, I'd say it just went bad and should be replaced under warranty.
Yep, the adapter had a dc output that went into my female dc input. Worked great through the adapter. I've already contacted the manufacturer and am getting a replacement. Just wanted to make sure noone else noticed anything that could make the system inefficient or not work properly. Anyone else feel free to comment...

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Probably that "electronic transformer" has stable voltage mode instead of constant current mode what must be Your goal. Thus the cure is just resistor in the series with ozone filament.
To the filament ought properly receive some 5...20 mA of HV, thus the resistor can be ca 5kV/5mA=1 MOhm. More precise You may adjust it at measuring the current, but not with a digital device. Use exclusively the analog head instead. Digital will become insanely damaged.