Bug zapper project help

TwistedX04

Joined Jul 9, 2016
ive seen bug zapper projects and diagrams but nothing where the power source is household electricity. Can anyone help me out and show me a diagram/parts list that would use 110v household as the power source?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
A common Hv neon sign transformer is all you need to produce the 3 - 4 Kv but I don't see the point of building one when you can buy a bug zapper that will actually work for way less than you will build one.

Especially now that it's the fall season and many places are selling off their summer stock units for $20 - $30 Vs their regular $50 - $80+ summer prices.:rolleyes:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
As a start use a 5.5 kV neg. ion generator, 12 V DC input, Electronic Goldmine # G 21544, & a 12V SMPS.
Space grid wires far enough so that there is no continuous arc, maybe around 5 mm, or reduce input V.

TwistedX04

Joined Jul 9, 2016
Meaning I want to be able to plug this into the wall and pull the 110v off the wall to power it but there aren't many diagrams that use components rated for 110v so I asked for help here

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Meaning I want to be able to plug this into the wall and pull the 110v off the wall to power it but there aren't many diagrams that use components rated for 110v so I asked for help here
See post 6 and Google search as needed.

If it's smaller than your thumb and has 6 or more legs a 30 mA lower voltage neon sign transformer will kill it. ;)

Plus being a common iron core line voltage powered device it is well within the allowable terms of the site.
(Just don't say your going to put an LED on it or the will mods go money poop over that and shut down the thread. LED on mains power here is seen as atomic radiation level deadly) :rolleyes: