bringing humanity back

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Giving money to the poor can be viewed as immoral soothing of one's own conscience, much like giving a drink to an alcoholic. I didn't read about this individual so I'm certainly not passing judgement.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Giving money to the poor can be viewed as immoral soothing of one's own conscience, much like giving a drink to an alcoholic.
Wow, i guess literally everything you say or do, can and will be used against you in the court of public (conflicting) opinion.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, ad infinitum.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It can also be viewed as a great act of kindness.
Only by those ignorant of the reality of the unintended consequences, the outright cruelty of a selfish act.

There's a recent and popular work on the topic, but it's not a new revelation.

Once again I have to disclaim any knowledge of the TS's link. Not all charity is toxic and the fellow could be a saint for all I know. It was just the "free money" wording of his post #1 that got me riled up.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Giving money to the poor can be viewed as immoral soothing of one's own conscience, much like giving a drink to an alcoholic. I didn't read about this individual so I'm certainly not passing judgement.
True, but without the benefit of the doubt we would all be judged as bastards beforehand.;)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
It is no one's business on how I re-distribute my income. That issue becomes political in a heartbeat.

Nothing prevents me from buying a meal for someone who needs it.

Nothing prevents me from buying a drink for an alcoholic who is suffering from withdrawals. This doesn't mean I wouldn't take them to a treatment center or AA meeting.

Only my conscience guides me. Your conscience guides you. This is not a race, not a contest, and not any kind of game.

As far as the TS's post, It's good to see someone helping another.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You'll find few examples in that work of the protagonist handing out "free money". He knew better.
He knew better, or he didn't have any money to give? According to the tales, what he had was level 50 fish/bread/wine conjuring, healing, and exorcism abilities; he handed out plenty of that stuff (pretty much everything he had to give). And then he gave his own life (which probably would have been a more significant gesture had he disabled respawn mode beforehand).

Anyway that's (that = because the Bible said so) not really a point that lends a whole lot to the case for charity being a GOOD thing.

Honestly i don't even know why this argument exists. Are there more people who think this way? How many people really believe that helping others in need is an IMMORAL thing to do? I only see see two viable scenarios where it's anything other than benevolent :

1. When you have to forcefully take from someone to give to someone else (like taxes >> welfare). In this case it's not really charity, it's theft.

2. When you have a chronic recipient who need not be a recipient. Like a welfare abuser. Someone who doesn't really NEED help, they just take any help they can get because it's easier than helping themselves. If you continue helping a lazyass like that, then yes, you ARE an enabler, and yes you probably should withdraw the teet.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I would help you but, since @wayneh opened my eyes, I will not help you for your own good.
If i was the kind if guy who handed out unpurchased thanks, i would thank you for your gracious withholding. But I too am no longer that man. So let's just throw a mutual admiration party where the dress code is a ball gag.

Status
Not open for further replies.