Bring Back Vocational education ...

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I guess I was lucky. I enjoyed all my jobs. They were mostly start ups which I think eliminates a lot of the BS and makes you concentrate on survival.:)
Great motivator. I always worked hard and always got rewarded for it.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
All that knowledge gone to waste. I would have opened a competing repair shop. Most non-competes expire after a year (if you had one). Factory authorized has always been the expensive option - easy to under cut them.
Yea. Easy to say but the reality of string a successful competitive multimillion dollar a year business isn't within most peoples grasp. Especially when you're in your late 20's. :rolleyes:

My Ex was great at that 'You should do this, It will make us rich!' daydreaming. I always told her you secure the money to get me going and I will do it! Yea, we all know how that turned out. :oops:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I would too. Your ethics were better than the owners.

It certainly is a prime example of how not to treat employees. It seems the owner didn't compute his costs correctly. If I were in that town were everyone was billed mileage, I'd be upset.
It ws even worse than that. We had a monthly incentives board that tallied our service departments profit margin and if we hit $100K or higher in a month we got a $50 bonus on our next paycheck and we had a total of 6 guys for a service department so what that say about who got what in the end? Make the owner $100K in a month just from service calls and he dishes out $300 in bonuses for the 6 guys who made it for him.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yea. Easy to say but the reality of string a successful competitive multimillion dollar a year business isn't within most peoples grasp. Especially when you're in your late 20's. :rolleyes:

My Ex was great at that 'You should do this, It will make us rich!' daydreaming. I always told her you secure the money to get me going and I will do it! Yea, we all know how that turned out. :oops:
I can get the money to get this started, I buy the tools and truck - I'll pay you $8.41/HR to drive around and fix machines. I'll directly in ice the customers - so you don't have to worry your pretty little head over those details.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I can get the money to get this started, I buy the tools and truck - I'll pay you $8.41/HR to drive around and fix machines. I'll directly in ice the customers - so you don't have to worry your pretty little head over those details.
You can go pound sand just like the last guy.:oops:

The only one who makes the majority of the money off my work is me now.

Besides it's been 16+ year since I last worked on a copier. They are a whole generation or more past what I am familiar with.

'Scan once. Print many.' was just hitting the market when I quit. Now it's standard feature on a $20 3 in one home printer/scanner/fax unit. :rolleyes:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Unfortunately having some degree of morals has ethics has held me back in the workplace far more than it has ever helped me. :oops:

Being the good guy who willingly puts forth an effort to treat the customer as he would wanted to be treated himself tends to make me the least desirable employee.

Either the general business practices have given me reason to leave or I eventually got run off for any number of reasons. A few outright setups intended to make me take the blame for some very bad actions inside certain companies. :(

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I got "counseled" by the owner of the TV repair shop when I did a simple "reset" the circuit breaker on a television. He thought I should have brought it in for repairs.

I left that job because of that. Kind of sad, since it was my summer job between the 10th and 11th grade.

Brian Griffin

Joined May 17, 2013
I agree with the revival of the vocational education.

In where I stay, poor guys who are students of the vocational institute often get laughed because they are deemed to "mentally handicapped" or "delinquents". It is entirely wrong and an unhealthy perception! Here we were taught to bury our heads in books and score As but learn to do nothing else!

I have known people who studied in vocational school. He told me he learned a lot of stuff there - his school was doing a lot of electrical and some electronic work training. I wished I was in one of these schools.

Besides that, when I worked as a lab technician in a university, those students who are "A" even struggled in doing their electronics work. They have no passion, and they are extremely reluctant to learn stuff from their comfort zones. One more example, I heard a group of Mech Engineering students protested in the Student Council because they were offered "Biomechanics" and they worry about learning biology.

My motivation is: learning is a journey. Intelligence is also measured by how one can adapt on unfamiliar situations/materials.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
In where I stay, poor guys who are students of the vocational institute often get laughed because they are deemed to "mentally handicapped" or "delinquents". It is entirely wrong and an unhealthy perception! Here we were taught to bury our heads in books and score As but learn to do nothing else!

That's the mentality I and millions of others have been up against all our working life.

What? You actually work for a living?

OMG?!? Whats wrong with you? You must be mentally handicapped or worse?

Go away you vagrant. Oh and BTW, fix my car while you're on your way out. I can't figure out how to put washer fluid in." :rolleyes:

Sound familiar to anyone? :(