brilliant engineering ideas needed!!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
well I don't know if I should already create another thread...

But the microchip library (Eagle light 6.2.0) does not have all the pics mcu...no PIC16F690, no PICF877, no PIC18F26K20, ...how do I add all the other pics to the existing ones?

thanks!
Can you not download this missing library from cadsoft?

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I have tried with PIC16F690....I have downloaded it and save it into:
C:\Program Files\EAGLE-6.2.0\lbr but when I look for it (in the program) to add it (as one normally add component) on the schematics...I can't find it...

Anything I am missing?? OK lemme google it a little...

thanks!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I managed to add libraries successfully but now I need to find PIC mcus with the right package type library...

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
microchip-5.lbr has nice PIC18Fseries PICs...I think I will choose one of them that has good speed and program memories...

A part from the *64 reed switches* and *64 diodes* is there anything else that is important?? I am asking coz I need to make an order from digi-key so yeah...

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
well I don't know if I should already create another thread...

But the microchip library (Eagle light 6.2.0) does not have all the pics mcu...no PIC16F690, no PICF877, no PIC18F26K20, ...how do I add all the other pics to the existing ones?

thanks!
It is quite common in ECAD engineering that you have to make both new symbols and foot-prints for ICs. The shortcut is to modifying an existing symbol. The job will then very often just take a few minutes. I am also sure that you can add several package variants to a eagle symbol. With just a few clicks with the mouse. Here is some links that may help you
http://myhome.spu.edu/bolding/EE4211/EagleTutorial4.htm
http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/se-inoue/e_eagle.htm
http://www.hcilab.org/resources/boardlayout/eagle-librarydesign.htm

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
You do not have to modify anything in the libraries, most pics have compatible pin outs, so just use the ones that have the same footprint and pin out...

for example, they do not have the pic16f88 but the pin outs match for the pic16f84A, so that can be used, same for pic16f887, I use the pic16f877 IC, etc....

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
You do not have to modify anything in the libraries, most pics have compatible pin outs, so just use the ones that have the same footprint and pin out...

for example, they do not have the pic16f88 but the pin outs match for the pic16f84A, so that can be used, same for pic16f887, I use the pic16f877 IC, etc....
You are SO right!I was thinking about the same thing!:)

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Heuh a quick quest!!

This schematics I am trying to draw (MCU interfaced with reed switches matrix & etc) ...will it be possible to simulate the whole schematics or...its needed for...or just to be converted into PCB later...

Sorry if this is a stupid quest...i'm a bit high...:D:confused:

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Attached is, I think, the best replacement of the PIC I have in hand, right?

the only change is: RC3 -> VUSB and RA7 -> OSCIICLKI, what do i do with that? pretend or...

I asked this before but no one adressed that...two 8-bit ports is needed but they (the 8 I/O pins for row/colum) don't necessarily need to be in a same port, right? also they should be selected on pins different from TX, RX, PGD, PGC, right?

thanks!

Attachments

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Not in Eagle. But tools like Isis Proteus might do that job. However Proteus comes with a hefty pricetag:mad:
Oh oh...doesn't sound too good...

So this eagle schematic is just for PCB? what's the point if Eagle can't simulate?

I think it makes sense, although I'm high:D, that this schematics will HAVE to be tested/simulated prior to implementation (can't just implement it without know its behavior...), correcct?

if correct, How do I test/simulate it?

[edited] maybe there's a crack for *Proteus* and even Eagle...

thanks!!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

the only change is: RC3 -> VUSB and RA7 -> OSCIICLKI, what do i do with that? pretend or...

I asked this before but no one adressed that...two 8-bit ports is needed but they (the 8 I/O pins for row/colum) don't necessarily need to be in a same port, right? also they should be selected on pins different from TX, RX, PGD, PGC, right?

thanks!
It will take you a few minutes only to create a new device in eagle using the symbol you have already. And then it will be correct. Also if you plan to use the onboard UART and/or hardware debugging. The TX, RX, PGD, PGC, must be reversed for this purpose. As I see it by doing some bit bit twiddling they do not have to be in the same port. Another solution is to use a 40 pin PDIP PIC variant

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009

thanks!

The Pic you have selected will work just fine for the Pic182* series pics, the pinut is exactly the same, VUSB is still RC3, and RA7 are still both RA7's, just ignore the names, the pinouts match.

As for the 8 bit ports, there are only 2 of those on the pic you selected, and if you plan on using RX and TX, then you will not be able to have 2 8 bit ports...... one thing you can do is just use 1 8 bit port (PORTB) for either the rows or columns, and use a 4017 IC to scan the other 8 bits.... so for 16 I/O's you will only need 9 (or 10 if you want to use an I/O for the 4017 reset line, or just tie the reset to the last unused output to reset the IC on the ninth clock pulse).

As an example, here is an 8x8 LED matrix using only 10 I/O's, I have the 4017 tied to the columns and using the pics PORTB for the 8 rows, maybe this way you can scan upto 8 switches at once, and would only take upto 9 clock cycles to read all 64...
8x8 matrix.png

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Also if you plan to use the onboard UART and/or hardware debugging. The TX, RX, PGD, PGC, must be reversed for this purpose.

Why would they need to be reversed? for what purpose? (PGC and PGD are used for ICSP programming and debug. I still use both for switch inputs or LED control in my circuits, while also using them for debugging with a pickit2)

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
regarding post#75, what's that IC chip called? coz I think I'll have to order it!!

or I'll go for the PIC18F46K20 (64KB program memory, 3936 bytes SRAM, 16 MIPS). with this chip I can choose 2 ports among PORTA PORTD and PORTB. BTW, do I really need a powerful PIC for that purpose?

All it will do, I think, is scan the board and send the *change* made on the board to the PC! I will use UART...so I need TX and RX...I will use the chip BMorse suggested (forgot the name).

What about the simulation of the whole circuit? what software would I use?

I will draw the whole schematic on friday (and present it for correction) as I got too many tests and assignments.

Another concern I have is am I correct to say that I would need another PIC chip that would just wait for some commands from the PC (chess engine) and would also be responsible to instruct the controller (robotic arm or...) to make the appropriate change (s) on the physical board?

BTW, I really like your schematics! which one is the easiest way? 40 pins PIC or 28pins+that4017chip? easier in terms of programming and...

Thanks so much!

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
What about the simulation of the whole circuit? what software would I use?
If you want to just test the code and debug it. You can do a lot in MPLAB. Using the debugger capabilities in the PICKIT3 module and MPLAB. The part you are working on now is it not in basic the UART connected to a PC and a 8x8 switch matrix. Are you familiar with the art of debugging. Like single stepping, the use of break-points and watches etc.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
If you want to just test the code and debug it. You can do a lot in MPLAB. Using the debugger capabilities in the PICKIT3 module and MPLAB. The part you are working on now is it not in basic the UART connected to a PC and a 8x8 switch matrix. Are you familiar with the art of debugging. Like single stepping, the use of break-points and watches etc.
I don't really understand the line in bold. I am a ZERO when i come to 'debugging', 'single stepping', 'watches,...'

But I have a pdf file 'MPLAB SIM' 71 pages that talks about it...will need to read it!
But I was more referring to the 'HARDWARE' debugging prior real/physical implementation!!

I mean OK assume I have my schematics drawn in Eagle and everything looks complete and correct...but there should be a way to simulate it, correct?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The IC in post #75 is a 4017 Decade Counter (or also known as a Johnson Counter) here is a quick tutorial on the IC and its functions >> http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4017.htm

I mean OK assume I have my schematics drawn in Eagle and everything looks complete and correct...but there should be a way to simulate it, correct?
You would "simulate" the hardware on a solderless breadboard if you have one.... or redraw the whole thing in a different application that can also simulate it....

Usually I will draw up my schematic in eagle, then I will build the circuit on a breadboard which I include ICSP connections for my Pickit2/3 and then start on the software side, so I can test and debug hardware and software at the same time, so I can see if I may need to move an I/O to another pin, etc.

After all the software, and hardware debugging is done, then I will update the schematic with the changes (if I have not done so, usually I update it as I make changes to the circuit on the breadboard) then I will layout the PCB and make them from the final version of the schematic.