Bridge rectifier diode order.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
Big Clive from YouTube has the best approach to getting bridge rectifier diodes oriented correctly. All four diodes have the bands pointing up, in two columns (consider the conventional diamond arrangement – sorry, don't have time for a picture at the moment). The two diodes joined at the top are V+. The two diodes joined at the bottom are V–. The two diodes joined on either side are the AC connections.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I put the schematic together to represent how I was gonna solder it more than it being an actual schematic,
For a simple circuit that is not a big problem, but it is not a good approach to your documentation. A schematic is not a wiring diagram, despite the natural urge to make it serve as one, and pushing it to be one can seriously impair the understanding of a more complex design. A schematic is all about showing the design intent, signal flow, and *electronic* (not physical) relationships among the components with the greatest clarity. For example, I have at least seven different symbols for a 555 in my design library, all with different pin arrangements. None of the pin arrangements are the simple 1-through-8 pattern on the datasheet, but each one improved the understanding of what that part of the overall circuit was doing.

As for the arrangement of the diodes on the pc board, I agree with whoever said they have them all pointing the same way. All trace connections can be done on one layer, and an incorrect diode orientation jumps out at you when viewing the assembly.

ak

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Is this what you're after? X2-1 is battery positive. When power drops off the relay falls out and the battery POSITIVE is directed to X3-1. X2-2 and X3-2 are NEGATIVE.
1657041332173.png