BREVILLE BOV845BSS OVEN CONTROL BOARD

Poppa D

Joined Aug 30, 2020
Oven went WACKY!!! For the last year when SW#1 (ON/OFF) was pressed numerous times you would get nothing or any number of functions for other switches (F to C, Convection,etc.) eventually you would get ON with the appropriate LED lite and oven would work fine, all selection KNOBS would function properly. If you wanted to change anything once unit was working (CONVECTION, LIGHT, DEFROST, C/F) you would have to press that button numerous times and it may or may not work at all. Recently the switches stopped working completely OVEN would not turn on regardless of the number of times SW#1 was pressed. MY QUESTION: Can all five switches fail at the same time or is this a problem with the UI101 chip? I exchanged switch #4 and switch #1 and it made no difference. Continuity (on all 5 switches) showed between legs on top and bottom and DID NOT change if button was pressed? Was expecting continnuity on any two of the four contacts. Breville has NO customer service that can address these issues, their reply is "Trash it and buy a new one". Well MOMMA loves this little oven and that is what we did ($300) now the OLD one is mine to play with. I have found one source for USED control board ($60) but thought I would play a little before considering that option. Screen works fine so makes me believe it has something to do with switches or their circuits?

BREVILLE FRONT.jpg

SW#1: POWER ON-OFF
SW#2; LIGHT ON-OFF
SW#3: CONVECTION ON-OFF
SW#4: DEFROST
SW#5: C/F

breville.jpg

breville 2.jpg

I had started tracing circuits but decided to post this and see what response(s) might be.

Thanks, Poppa D

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's not unbelievable to me that the switches may have all failed at roughly the same time. My stove has a stupid design that causes moisture from the oven to condense on the computer and all the electronics. My stove will go tits up at the worst times, like when there's a turkey in the oven on a holiday. Full function usually returns once the computer dries out again. My control panel membrane switches - not pushbuttons like yours - all gave up years ago and I replaced them with pushbuttons.
You might want to experiment by replacing - or just temporarily bypassing - one of the switches, to see if you can get function back for that switch.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
The buttons are 6mm E-Switch TL1105 series (or a knock-off). There are a lot of variations but as long as you get the 6mm base and actuator height, they're pretty much interchangeable. For this sort of thing, lean towards a higher actuator force. The datasheet shows how pairs of pins are connected internally to provide a free crossover for single sided PCBs which may account for your 'always ON' measurements. Here's a representative switch and series datasheet:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E-Switch/TL1105KF160Q?qs=QtyuwXswaQhm5SWotJxVBw==

I have one of those ovens too so.. Good Luck!

Attachments

Poppa D

Joined Aug 30, 2020
wayneh,
After doing some more testing and taking one switch apart really think they are all "BAD" probably from the time they were originally installed. If I push to almost bending legs I could "OCCASIONALLY" get contact across terminals. This much pressure would have broken plastic buttons on oven for sure. Have ordered replacements per info furnished by JohninTX above. Will let you know how it goes 10ea switches cost $3.00 Shipping was $7.00 Got a few extra for???????

bassbindevil,
Looked over power supply board and components, no burn marks, only one round capacitor and it looks fine, so am going to leave it alone until I get those switches installed

Thanks ALL for suggestions and Happy Labor Day!!!

Poppa D

Poppa D

Joined Aug 30, 2020
Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the music! Replaced 5 switches and oven works like new! So, for $320 we now have two of these ovens working and MOMMA can relax in the knowledge! Bad batch of switches from the original build so if you have WACKY operation of this oven start by replacing all 5 of these switches with those suggested above.

THANKS again to all respondents. Hope this will help anyone else with this issue,
Poppa D

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Well done!
It would be a help to others if you could post the specific part number or Mouser order number of the switch you selected.

It is still amazing to me how 50 cents worth of switches downs $320 worth of appliance and that’s OK with the manufacturer.

Poppa D

Joined Aug 30, 2020
I had an account with DIGI-KEY and ordered the following switch:

DESC: SWITCH TACTILE SPST-NO 0.05A 12V
PART: EG1829-ND
MFG: E-Switch / TL1105AF160Q

Obsidiank

Joined Oct 4, 2023
Hello, I'd like to thank everyone and this thread. My Breville has been on the fritz for well over a year and three weeks ago finally "died". Screen would come on but none of the buttons or wheels would work. Previously, if I unplugged it and restarted, it would come back alive after being on for a few hours. I had previously read that the control board tends to "burn out" due to heat and had taken the thing apart once before with minimal success. Also, it is impossible to find a control board replacement.

I was finally ready to trash it and buy a new one with the airfryer or the same one and was waiting for a sale. The oven was sitting in the hallway waiting for garbage day when I finally did one more google search for answer.

I never thought that a bad switch could cause it to fritz and not respond. I would have thought a bad switch would just make that switch not work. Anyways, I was able to find replacement switches on amazon, DAOKI 100Pcs 6x6x5 mm Miniature Micro Momentary Tactile Tact Touch Push Button Switch Quality Switch SPST Miniature/Mini/Micro/Small PCB: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific for $5

A quick 10 minute solder session later and lo and behold, the over is back to working condition.

Thanks again!

Poppa D

Joined Aug 30, 2020
It seems to me that either a bad batch of switches were installed during manufacturing process or this is designed obsolescence. Based on many tear-downs, performed on many products, this unit seems to be WELL made so I'm leaning to bad parts during manufacturing process. Have left posting request on Breville website will update here if answer is received. After snooping around website, think Breville is subsidiary of SAGE in Europe (GERMANY) so this problem may be worldwide?

littleboy96

Joined May 11, 2024
Hi all - I’ve been having an issue with the function dial on my BOV845. It won’t scroll past the “toaster” function. Everything else works perfectly, including the two other dials. Seems to be an issue with the rotary encoder, not the switch. Anyone happen to know the part needed for the rotary encoder?

Attachments