Breaker for T8 Led Tube

JarredAwesome

Joined Sep 28, 2019
Hello,

I recently switched T8 bulbs on my Aquarium with new LED Tubes.

This involves removing the ballast and connecting the AC 110 current directly to the Fluorescent sockets.

I’d like to set a breaker in between the lightbulb and the power line incase there’s a short.

can anyone help me know what breaker I need?

the light pulls 10w, the current is 110v 12a

I’m not sure which one the breaker needs to be.

I’m hoping to find one that’s a ‘pop up’ style.

Anyone know what I need?

JarredAwesome

Joined Sep 28, 2019
There's already a breaker on the circuit the light is plugged in to. Why do you want more?
There is no breaker in the circuit.

the wiring goes from the wall to the light sockets.

I know there is a breaker in the fuse box, but If that goes off, it shuts off the filter for the tank as well

Last edited:

JarredAwesome

Joined Sep 28, 2019
Buy a power strip with an integral breaker.
That’s not really what I’m asking.

I just need choosing a correct breaker. I don’t want to add another component under my aquarium. I just want to make sure I get the right component for my needs

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Why not just fit a 20mm panel fuse in each light fitting. In theory a 100 mA fuse should be big enough but in practice you will probably need a larger fuse. This will depend on the design of the electronics in the LED tubes. I think a 0.5 amp fuse would stand the switch on surge but would still provide protection to the cable from the socket to the lights.

Les.

JarredAwesome

Joined Sep 28, 2019
Why not just fit a 20mm panel fuse in each light fitting. In theory a 100 mA fuse should be big enough but in practice you will probably need a larger fuse. This will depend on the design of the electronics in the LED tubes. I think a 0.5 amp fuse would stand the switch on surge but would still provide protection to the cable from the socket to the lights.

Les.
I might do that. I was hoping for something that was ‘resettable my, so I don’t have to pull out a soldering gun, and a new fuse if it’s ever tripped

I was think 1miliamp? I did the math, and a 10w bulb pulls .8 miliamps from a 120 plug