Breadboard Compatible Relay

RAMBO999

Joined Feb 26, 2018
Hi

Simple request. I have had a good hunt around the internet for a suitable item but can't find anything really.

I am a looking for a small, low voltage, multiple contact (at least two) make relay suitable for use on a breadboard.

1/4 or 1/2 watt. Is there such a thing?

Anyone know where I can find one.

Cheers

RAMBO999

Joined Feb 26, 2018

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
A big part of finding what you want is going to be in the description.
I am a looking for a small, low voltage, multiple contact (at least two) make relay suitable for use on a breadboard.

Relays have contacts so for example I could be looking for a DPDT (Douple Pole Double Throw) relay with a coil voltage of and contacts rated for? You make no mention of coil voltage? You also make no mention of how much current (AC or DC) the contacts should be rated for? In general a good description of the relay application will go a long way. You start with Relay Terminology and work things from there. Just as an example.

Ron

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Thanks pmd34. I will check those out. Since you have had a need for these in teh past are they all single relays or can you get multiple? I have two circuits that I want to switch on simultaneously using one feed. Or will I need to use two relays one per circuit?
The have "double poles" so 2 switches, more than that tend to be rather special.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Your contact description is vague. Relay contacts are generally single throw or double throw.
Relay coils are specified by their nominal pick-up voltage and resistance. From that you can calculate power.
Anyone know where I can find one.
Here are some footprints from Jameco's 2017 catalog:
clipimage.jpg
For a breadboard, you need the row spacing to be 0.3-0.6" or so.

RAMBO999

Joined Feb 26, 2018
Your contact description is vague. Relay contacts are generally single throw or double throw.
Relay coils are specified by their nominal pick-up voltage and resistance. From that you can calculate power.
Here are some footprints from Jameco's 2017 catalog:
View attachment 196872
For a breadboard, you need the row spacing to be 0.3-0.6" or so.
Got that. Thanks. I was originally thinking of using transistors to close the circuits but with 1 transistor per circuit the board might get a little crowded. So I figured give a relay a go see. See how that works out. Compare the two.

Last edited:

RAMBO999

Joined Feb 26, 2018
Back again.

So

I took Sam's advice and bought a couple of these 10 pin relays.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391691260671

They have just arrived. Good service.

Now I am looking for the pin connections.

I have found this wiring schema which makes sense for an 6 pin relay not 10 pin.

https://www.electroschematics.com/dpst-switch-relay/

Could anyone point me to a similar schema for the ten pin please?

As I say that 6 pin schema makes sense. What are the four extra pins for? Two additional switches?

What about polarity? There are no polarity markings on this device.

The markings that are on it are as follows:

TQ2-5V

30 VDC 0.1A
110 VDC 0.3A
125 VAC 0.5A

I presume that the TQ2-5V is 5 VDC energizing voltage and the other three characteristics are the limits of the circuits that can be connected through this device.

Is that correct?

I am only interested in the 30 VDC 0.1A and well with it.

Thanks again

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
On the top is model #. Read PDF as pin outs differ. Sometimes shown on case or bottom. No polarity for coil. TQ2 sounds short for model. 5V is coiil V. One SPDT on each side for DPDT. Meter it for conductivity.

Last edited:

RAMBO999

Joined Feb 26, 2018
On the top is model #. Read PDF as pin outs differ. Sometimes shown on case or bottom. No polarity for coil. TQ2 sounds short for model. 5V is coiil V. One SPDT on each side for DPDT. Meter it for conductivity.
Ok. Thay are too small for case bound schemas. I know what you mean though. Like auto or domestic appliance relays. A very useful feature. I will have a play around.

Last edited:

RAMBO999

Joined Feb 26, 2018
Sorted. It's a Single Side Stable type. Gives you 4 switches. 2 normally closed between pins 9/8 and 2/3 and 2 normally open between pins 8/7 and 3/4 . Those are the ones I want. Coil is polarized. Pretty neat actually.

Thanks for the advice and the result.

Attachments