Bounds between blocks !

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
Hi guys, there's something that I assume it everytime as "zero" sized but I want to be cleared for me and not confusing towards it at all, so I want to verify about my assumption also to assure it.

lets assume I have four continues blocks which every block is size of k, so if I need the total size it's 4k and it's easy !
but what's confusing me, between one block and another there's a bound and it's also taking a size of, so the total size of all the blocks isn't exactly 4k and that what's confusing me about bounds exactly ! , I'm not succeeding to understand what's the concept of the "bounds between" in math at all in "theoretically" !
Moreover, the bound is found between two blocks so it's take a size from the first block and from the second continues block, and here I'm getting confused and can't visualize it with bounds that have no size!

***** maybe I'm totally understanding the idea in a wrong way, if so it would be a pleasure for re-correcting me **

here is my picture demonstrate what's confusing me towards: (what's confusing me I have indicated it by ? at the paper)

Any help guys?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Learn to write coherent English sentences and paragraphs. For the life of me I cannot fathom what your problem is.

If you are wondering about the amount of space which is possible between blocks, then it can be any amount including 0. The reason it might be non-zero is so the block can start on a particular boundary such as a multiple of 2 or 4 or 16 or any other convenient value. I'm not aware of any reason for starting a block at an address which is an odd number.

I don;t know why, but I'll take a shot.

Memory is expressed in K, but 1K = 1024 locations. Next you have bytes or words as an arrangement. Usually 8-bit bytes now.

Linked-lists can contain info too. It takes a couple of bytes/words to manage the linked list.

There is hard drive capacity which is "unformatted" capacity. You had hard sectored and soft-sectored hard drives. You also have bad block tables. These reduce the useable capacity.

he question isn't asked in a way I can try to handle it.

For the life of me I cannot fathom what your problem is.
Me neither :)

At first, I thought maybe this is about allocating memory e.g. malloc and I thought here is a decent explanation that might help and then I thought, maybe it has something to do with a difference in virtual vs. physical memory e.g. PIC32 [Fig 3.1] then I thought, maybe it is the result of a new bot. Finally, I decided that I am not smart enough to figure it out but am ok with that.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
Learn to write coherent English sentences and paragraphs. For the life of me I cannot fathom what your problem is.

If you are wondering about the amount of space which is possible between blocks, then it can be any amount including 0. The reason it might be non-zero is so the block can start on a particular boundary such as a multiple of 2 or 4 or 16 or any other convenient value. I'm not aware of any reason for starting a block at an address which is an odd number.
Alright I will try to write next time a coherent English.
what's confusing me who lets say I want to calculate the length of 1----5-----6 , for first piece the length is 5-1 =4 and for the second piece is 6-5=1 , but 5 is found in first piece and on the second piece which it's also taking a "size" of the two pieces, shouldn't we include it on the second piece? because we already calculate it on the first piece... I'm totally wrong but need an explanation to convince me about.

what's confusing me who lets say I want to calculate the length of 1----5-----6 , for first piece the length is 5-1 =4 and for the second piece is 6-5=1 , but 5 is found in first piece and on the second piece which it's also taking a "size" of the two pieces, shouldn't we include it on the second piece? because we already calculate it on the first piece... I'm totally wrong but need an explanation to convince me about.
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
I'm attaching here what's wondering me "I indicate it by "?" "
why we are ignoring the connections between pieces? or actually why are we assuming the connection between as ZERO length?!

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Do your best with the English, but I'm guessing that English is not your native language and I can pretty much guarantee that your ability to write English far surpasses the ability of any of us to write coherent sentences in your native language, so I'm certainly not going to throw any stones. We just need to work through things until we are able to understand what is being asked.

What kind of "blocks" are you taking about here? Memory blocks? Physical blocks like blocks of wood? Since this is the Math forum, we don't have an assumed context, so we need you to be a bit more descriptive.

It might help to imagine laying down blocks of wood right next to each other along a ruler with each block being exactly one inch wide. The first block's left edge is at 0" on the tape and the right edge is at 1" on the tape. What if I have a set of five blocks starting at 23"? Where will the right edge of the 5th block be? If I have a set of blocks and I want to know how many there are, I subtract the ruler marking at the left edge from the ruler marking at the right edge. But another way I can do this is to subtract the ruler marking at the left edge from the ruler marking at the left edge of the next block. This works perfectly when each set of blocks is up against the block before it. But what if there's space? For instance, what if I have a set of seven blocks starting at 20" and the next set of blocks start at 30" because I've chosen to always start a set of blocks at a boundary that is divisible by 5"? Now I have a gap that COULD hold as many as three blocks. How do I account for that? Do I count it as part of the first set of blocks? Do I count it as part of the second set of blocks? Do I count it as part of a "unused blocks" count? The choice is mine -- I just need to communicate my choice clearly and then be consistent with it.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Many times to compensate with expansion. wood (even plywood) for roofs is laid down with 1/8" gaps.
Is that something you need to worry about when covering memory space with bits? ;)

I still don't understand the question either. Originally, I thought the TS meant something like this:
upload_2018-12-22_16-32-11.png
But now, I have my doubts.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
Is that something you need to worry about when covering memory space with bits? ;)

I still don't understand the question either. Originally, I thought the TS meant something like this:
View attachment 166256
But now, I have my doubts.
between Page 0 and page 1 there's "-------------------------------------" isn't it take space between ?! that's whole my problem why we are neglecting that?

etween Page 0 and page 1 there's "-------------------------------------" isn't it take space between ?! that's whole my problem why we are neglecting that?
No, because 07FF hex +1 = 0800 hex. The next memory location after 07FF is 0800 when you count in hexadecimal.

No space in terms of counting.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
between Page 0 and page 1 there's "-------------------------------------" isn't it take space between ?! that's whole my problem why we are neglecting that?
There can be, like in the "linear memory" space of enhanced mid-range PIC's. But that "space" is just a difference in addresses. In fact, the memory elements might be right next to each other physically.

What does that matter to you, if your goal is to understand processors? This is very reminiscent of your earlier questions about what happens to bits.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
between Page 0 and page 1 there's "-------------------------------------" isn't it take space between ?!
NO.

that's whole my problem why we are neglecting that?
It's neglected because it doesn't take up any space; it's nothing more than a line of demarcation showing where one block ends and another one begins. And that's ALL it is.

Ryan$

Joined Dec 14, 2018
NO.

It's neglected because it doesn't take up any space; it's nothing more than a line of demarcation showing where one block ends and another one begins. And that's ALL it is.
But if it shows where the one block ends ** this means** that until this line(included the line itself) the space belong to the one block ..that's what confusing me..how it would belong to the one block and to another block in the same time !!!

by the way I'm not talking specifically to the memory issues, I'm talking generally on the bounds that we are democratizing for ends something and another begins ..

But if it shows where the one block ends ** this means** that until this line(included the line itself) the space belong to the one block ..that's what confusing me..how it would belong to the one block and to another block in the same time !!!

by the way I'm not talking specifically to the memory issues, I'm talking generally on the bounds that we are democratizing for ends something and another begins ..
You are not understanding the concepts of discrete and continuous. I would suggest that you do some reading on scale types.

In the case of memory addresses, we are talking about discrete values. There is no space between address 123 and address 124. There is no memory address of 123.5, for example.

Temperature, on the other hand, is on a continuous scale. There is always space between the values of 123 and 124. There is a value of 123.5, for example.

You can see this - right? You understand the difference between discrete and continuous? If not, there is plenty of information available for you to read on that issue, but you have to actually search and do the reading.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I give up. Maybe someone else can succeed in getting this guy to understand, but I'm done trying.