Boost convertor design simulation(Ltspice)

gokulpradeep010

Joined Jun 2, 2021
Hello all,
I am designing a boost convertor from 24V to 180V for .1A current. I am able to get a steady state output at 70ms. but unexpectedly the output is 24V for 0mS. I think it is the problem with the simulation. Please help me to figure it out.

Attachments

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
And somehow you expect the laws of physics to give instant results? You have capacitors to charge, magnetic fields to establish, control loops to stabilise. A 100mS+ startup time is pretty reasonable I'd say...

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
(some text removed by moderator)
A reference like Basso, Switch-Mode Power Supplies, (2014) will explain all of this in more detail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I didn't get to look at the design as away from PC at the moment, but sounds like this could benefit from a cockroft multiplier on the output.
He still has the problem of having 100 ma of output current. The more stages you have the more difficult it is to maintain and regulate the output voltage because it is load dependent. I think he will have better results with a transformer in the mix. This does complicate the actual design in terms of complexity and cost. I don't see the current approach being feasible at all.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Things not right:
M2 has 4.9 ohms resistance when turned on. Need higher current part! The poor little part can not take that current and would explode in a real world.
The Gate signal is only 8 volts which is a little low.
R7 is very small.
Frequency 445khz which is very fast. But with only 10uH of L1 maybe that is ok.
---------------------------------------------------
I changed the MOSFET out for a 250V 0.425 ohm part and it works much better.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Things not right:
M2 has 4.9 ohms resistance when turned on. Need higher current part! The poor little part can not take that current and would explode in a real world.
The Gate signal is only 8 volts which is a little low.
R7 is very small.
Frequency 445khz which is very fast. But with only 10uH of L1 maybe that is ok.
---------------------------------------------------
I changed the MOSFET out for a 250V 0.425 ohm part and it works much better.
It pays to read the datasheet(s) with some level of precision and attention to detail.