Boost Converter

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I'd just like to canvass opinion on a boost converter: 400V input @ 10A (solar panels) , 550V output (battery). It's quite a similar circuit to a PFC front-end for which there are numerous application notes.
Who'd be in favour of Silicon MOSFET, Silicon Carbide MOSFET or IGBT?
And, as I don't have to cram it into a stupidly small box, what's the optimum frequency?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
400 @ 10A to 550 is simple. From the PFC circuit, use the MOSFET or SiC FET and the diode. Do not use the IC.
Do you need MPPT? I will say that differently. You need Maximum Power Point! and maybe a circuit to keep the battery form over charging.

Last edited:

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
400 @ 10A to 550 is simple. From the PFC circuit, use the MOSFET or SiC FET and the diode. Do not use the IC.
Do you need MPP? I will say that differently. You need Maximum Power Point! and maybe a circuit to keep the battery form over charging.
Yes - I've done MPPT and battery management before, but not at that voltage; and I've done PFC at 400V, so I know what problems to expect!
There's so many app notes for PFC at 2-3kW some favouring MOSFET, some SiCFET, some IGBT - I thought I'd see if anyone had any particular preferences.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I don't use IGBT. Too slow for me.
I use MOSFETs. The SiC is really nice. Running that fast allows for smaller inductors. I am using GAN transistors now but they are hard to work with.
PFC has a very slow error amp. I think the boost design will be easy compared to a PFC.
You need a really good diode. Continuous mode needs a really fast diode. Many PFC diodes are just that.