Board connectors

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Hi,

I'm pretty out of date with a lot of these things and I am unsure on the technical name for the connector strips that appear on boards like the ST Nucelo.

The board has rows of pins as well as rows of sockets, in strips along the edge of the board.

The size of these pins/sockets seems to match what I see on PC motherboards, so these wires look like they would fit.

So what is the technical name for these connectors? is it possible to buy bags of mixed sizes (that Amazon pack for example are all 4 pin) and can I get wires that have both pins and sockets on them?

Also the pins on the board are in two closely spaced rows, are there connectors that are that wide or anything?

Any help appreciated!

(I recently grabbed an old 3-pin socket and wire from my PC spares box and used that supply a regulated 5v DC do my Nucleo board and power it without using the USB, but I'd like a set of various sizes/widths for general purpose experimenting).

Perhaps this is the nearest thing for my needs?

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Those look like "pinheaders" for the male side. Pinspacing is 0.1"(2.54 mm). There are some metric sizes; 2 mm is quite common. The will not work together, of course.

As for the female components there is a variety of choices for both the type of electrical contact and type of connection to the contact. On board, they are usually soldered. There are press to fit versions. Free-hanging, you have the choice of crimped contacts and IDC (insulation displacement contact). The latter is quite popular. You can also use a board connector, solder individual wires to the tails, and use heat shrink.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Ahh OK thanks, so they're literally named "pin headers" I mistakenly assumed that was just some generic term. Much appreciated!