Blinky with PICKit 2 and Velleman Dev Board

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You can just use a long pinheader (mine came with one) and plug the PK2 into the breadboard. The number of wires is correct.

I have lost track, sorry. Are you using the PIC84A now? If so, what frequency? Be sure to have the correct chip selected in configure and have power target by PK2 selected.

John

EDIT: Let me clarify. For programming the bare chip like we are discussing, you do not need to know the frequency. I am just thinking a little ahead to when you program and then want to flash an LED.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
you only need 3 wire, and a common ground, you can solder them to the circuit directly on the chip
A common ground is still a "wire" (connection). By programming the chip "bare," I meant without any other power supply except from the PK2. Thus he will need 5 wires.

That recommendation is based on the principle of simplifying the system as much as possible to facilitate identifying the problem. An external supply to the breadboard is an unnecessary complication at this point.

John

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
Hi guys, just a quick update. Tried the velleman board, still no luck. I looked in the velleman instructors manual and didn't really understand the jump points so maybe I've connected it wrong.

I've also connected a second pic16f to a breadboard with some pinstrip and will have a go at programming it directly once I learn how to connect it up. I also acquired the usb to rs232 device I was encouraged to get for comms between the pc and pic

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Why do you need the USC connection on the breadboard? Doesn't the PK2 have its own USB? Is that a straight 16F84 or 16F84A. On my monitor, it looks like the former. Here's a picture of the connections (Pins are the same for the 16F84):

upload_2014-12-25_14-57-58.png

John

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
The usb to rs232 is for the pc to communicate with the microcontroller once it's programmed and working. The idea is I'll be sending a start signal from matlab. Thanks for the pinouts,hopefully I'll figure out how the pickit connects to the pic in the next 30 mins

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
I have had a look at the PICKit 2 manual and it doesn't look quite as simple as simply making 5 jump leads from the PICKit 2 pinstrip connector to the Microcontroller. Looks like I need to connect up some capacitors and resistors and such like

upload_2014-12-25_22-53-19.png

David_Baratheon

Joined Feb 10, 2012
How do you provide the 5V and GND for the isolation circuitry? Can I just use pins 2 and 3 of the PICKit 2? Also, do I basically just connect pin 3 on the PICKit to VSS on the PIC? They are not shown as connected but presumably showing a ground on both pins means they should be connected together and the PICKit 2 will provide the ground?