BLDC, Battery, Safety and measuring circuits to control

davidkeller12345

Joined May 19, 2018
Hy Guys!

I have a project which should be able to measure voltage, current and temperature and other functions for a go-kart's batteries.
I have no much time to build this circuit plans next to the work.
I would be happy if anyone could share me useful articles, books or something.
I should be able to tell that where and what I would measure to know the voltages and currents or temperatures of the batteries while for example a bldc motor charging them in generator mode. What kind of elements and circuit I need. And what kind of signals have them. What require?
If anyone could help me to know better about temperature measuring or voltage measuring of a batteries I would thank you very much.
I need characteristics, formula, figures, circuits from safety circuits like polarity protections, temperature measuring for instance with an NTC thermistor, or where and what I had to measure and be careful with.
Sorry about my English,
I hope you could read it what I wanted to say.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
To measure voltage you'll need a volt meter.
To measure amperage you'll need an amp meter.
To measure temperature you'll need a temperature sensor and something to read the signal. I'm unaware of any such device with all three combined that can operate at the same time.

I have a meter on my bench I bought just because I might find a use for it. It has two sets of readouts. One set for voltage and another for amperage. However, I don't think it measures reverse amps, meaning it can be used either for measuring the charge current OR for the amount of current being drawn. But I suspect for a few more bucks you can get one that does.

As for temperature, that's a different meter all together. I don't have any suggestions for that. I'll look on Amazon and see if I can spot a meter or two that displays both volts and amps. I'll edit this comment when I find something. Shouldn't take long at all.

[edit] here's one: https://www.amazon.com/McIgIcM-Digi...144&sr=8-17&keywords=panel+volt+meter+digital

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I should be able to tell that where and what I would measure to know the voltages and currents or temperatures of the batteries while for example a bldc motor charging them in generator mode. What kind of elements and circuit I need. And what kind of signals have them. What require?
Among the first things you need to do is define exactly what you want to measure and the ranges you want to measure. For example voltage is how many volts? Current range is how many amps? Temperature is what range? That done you need to determine which sensors will do what you want to do and to what accuracy? What are the batteries and where do you plan to measure the temperature? Once you define all those units and ranges you move along as to how to do it. A simple micro-controller with a display would likely do just fine but will require some programming skills.

That or as Tony suggested just use simple discreet components from a distributor like Amazon or Ebay. You still need to know the ranges for each parameter you want to measure.

Ron