Bird Repellent circuit

Peter8519

Joined Nov 18, 2014
Hi All,

First and foremost, a big thank you to
blocco a spirale
for his water sensing circuit. It's very power efficient and I am into the 2nd 9V battery.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/water-sensor-alarm.115703/

I am facing the bird dropping on my clothing problem. In sunny Singapore, I sun my clothing everyday.
But unwanted visitors keep soiling them.

I would very much appreciate if someone can help share a circuit so that I can chase away those birds unharmed.

Thanks in advance. :)

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there! :) I am not a student of ornithology.
But I imagine but we need to know the species of birds of your birds in particular.Are they indigenous to the area? or migratory? roosting? nesting? Maybe foraging for food?
Do your neighbors have the same problem or they attacking just your clothing?
Have you tried local bird communities in your geographical location? To me that would be a excellent resource of information. The circuits I envision would probably give the little guys a heart attack.:(

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Investigate the basics first. If you are living in a place that originally was their habitat, start considering to move with all your belongings, clothing included.

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020
I think that you'll need to try a few things and see what works.

First get a way of measuring how many birds are there to begin with, that way you'll know if the things that you try are better/worse/same than doing nothing.

Over summers I used to pick fruit at farms and the most effective thing I saw (and heard) was a sound recording if lots of birds flying off - The birds instinctively took off.

Another option is to hang old cds on a string above where they land.

You could over engineer something, like a small robotic arm that randomly starts waving

You could tie fishing wire in a pattern above your line so that they won't be able to land on the line

Peter8519

Joined Nov 18, 2014
Hello there! :) I am not a student of ornithology.
But I imagine but we need to know the species of birds of your birds in particular.Are they indigenous to the area? or migratory? roosting? nesting? Maybe foraging for food?
Do your neighbors have the same problem or they attacking just your clothing?
Have you tried local bird communities in your geographical location? To me that would be a excellent resource of information. The circuits I envision would probably give the little guys a heart attack.:(
It's myna. They are part of crow family.

1.jpg

Peter8519

Joined Nov 18, 2014
After some small storms in my brain, here are the possible solutions to the problem.
1. Smashing mouse trap. Not humane at all. Not a feasible option.
mouse_trap1.jpg

2. Use this instead and give the recalcitrant birds some waterboarding. Do you think they dare venture back ?
Of course, there is a risk of catch some wild virus and start another pandemic.
rsz_mouse_trap2.jpg

3. Here is a ready make solution from Amazon. Do you think Jeff Bezos has a hand in it ?
It will scare away some birds, neighbors too ?
rsz_bird_repellent.jpg

OK, jokes aside. Anyone here uses option 3. Please kindly share your experience.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
I had a similar problem with the Indian Mynah in my 30 year old avocado tree, which they chose for a roosting spot. The noise in the evenings was beyond annoying. I kept them at bay for awhile with a pellet gun. But I could not beat them. Eventually I committed the cardinal sin of cutting the tree down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_myna
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one". Live long and prosperous! ;)

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
1630227041063.png

It is a member of the starling family. Thank goodness it is not pigeons that are bothering you. These are very smart birds and travel in pairs. Probably your best bet is something to detect their landing and then make a short but loud noise (like a car horn at short range).

I think that in this case, Google is your friend. There are many resources for these intelligent pests.
Try looking up "starling abatement" without the quotes. You will see that you are not alone and there are many solutions available.

Good luck!

Peter8519

Joined Nov 18, 2014
These birds poop on the clothing and occasionally they ventured into the kitchen and poop on the cooking utensils.
Dirty fellows.:mad:
I am thinking of a noise making circuit with a PIR sensor. The tricky part is what noise is good enough to scare away the birds and not the neighbors. I will continue my research the noise making transducer. Thanks.