Bird launcher remote controller

cfrimmel

Joined Jan 15, 2021
I’m wanting to make my own version of a wireless transmitter and receiver for a pigeon/quail launcher. I’ve attached what I would like it to be modeled after, but want to build it instead of buying it. Any and all pointers and instructions would be great. Thanks!

5A11FF16-C346-4B57-9BD3-F36101EA12DB.jpeg80297E3A-ACF3-4AA9-B391-854BA8E8DC66.jpeg77E0D321-A244-4781-B063-1D310D8B80A4.jpeg

Attachments

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I’m wanting to make my own version of a wireless transmitter and receiver for a pigeon/quail launcher. I’ve attached what I would like it to be modeled after, but want to build it instead of buying it. Any and all pointers and instructions would be great. Thanks!
If you feel you have the skills and experience to tackle such a comprehensive project, I suggest you start doing a lot of research, planning and experimenting.
Good luck!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
This project would be a challenge even for someone experienced at electronics.
What experience do you have of building transmitters and receivers?
Are you aware of the legal/licensing restrictions and requirements for wireless transmitters?
Will this be a scratch build, or are you intending to use off-the-shelf modules?

cfrimmel

Joined Jan 15, 2021
I intend to use off the shelf modules. I really don’t know what I am doing so that’s why I asked for any help possible. I know that the range I want is under the RC/ hobbyist classification. My build doesn’t need to be as complex as the one I am modeling off of, I only need 4 channels as I’ll only be running one receiver. I’m thinking two arduino boards and then the transmitter and receiver boards.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I intend to use off the shelf modules. I really don’t know what I am doing so that’s why I asked for any help possible. I know that the range I want is under the RC/ hobbyist classification. My build doesn’t need to be as complex as the one I am modeling off of, I only need 4 channels as I’ll only be running one receiver. I’m thinking two arduino boards and then the transmitter and receiver boards.
What are you thinking of when you say four channels? Four different frequencies from transmitter to receiver? Or four different output/inputs?

They are different problems with different solutions. I’d aim for the latter.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
You could use a standard four channel radio control transmitter and receiver but the transmitter would need to be modified because the normal input is by two two-axis analog joysticks. The joysticks would need to be replaced with four SPDT switches and some resistors.
At the remote end, R/C switches are available that provide a contact closure and could be activated by a standard four channel R/C receiver..

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
What radio frequency are you considering using? In North America the choices are: 27MHz, 40MHz, 75MHz, 2.4GHz.
If you are planning on building a transmitter and receiver from scratch, each different frequency band has its own unique challenges.
In the past, I have designed and built my own multi-channel R/C transmitters and receivers for 27MHz and 72MHz. There are quite stringent specifications that have to be met to achieve legal compliance to minimize interference with other R/C users.
Do you have the test equipment that will be necessary to set up and test an R/C system?
I sincerely recommend that you purchase a standard 75 MHz 4 channel transmitter and receiver for your system. You can replace the joysticks with push switches and design your own signal decoder using an arduino to give you four relay outputs.
I can certainly offer you help and advice if you choose this alternative.
Regards,
Keith