Bill's question in WBahn's farewell thread

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
In what way do you want "correction"? The tribute is up, you have read it. I do not see it being removed again.
Bill,

Since you asked the question let me respond.

As a long time supporter of the moderator team, I can say, this incident, and the fact that WBahn stated his fairwell, there is an stain on the soul of the moderator team. The stain is so great that I have lost faith and confidence in that moderator.

What can be done?

There are a few courses of action,

1. The unknown moderator apologizes to WBahn and WBahn returns.
or
2. The unknown moderator resigns due to no longer having the faith and confidence of the members.
or
3. The unknown moderator starts a thread and explain why they thought is was political. Then the veterans here can decide if they wish to continue their association with the assembled membership here at AAC.

As one who swore to support and defend the Constitution of the United State four times, I firmly believe in the First Amendment. I will repeat it here for those unfamiliar with that amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
The members here are assembled, as loosely as that term could be applied. The only course of redress is Dave, the owner as he has the final say in the matter. The moderator team enforces the TOS and as such, they are to use good judgment. It was NOT good judgment by the moderator in question and thus that moderator as demonstrably lost the faith and confidence of the membership.

That is my opinion on what needs to be done. I await any action.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Eh, WBahn has long been one of our most political members. I only gave a cursory reading to his post. It might be political or it might not. I'm not the judge here. But the "no politics" rule, a pretty good one to follow if this site is to remain a friendly place, has gone unenforced for too long. It's high time someone restores enforcement, and if that makes members want to leave, so be it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I was quiet when Bill asked his question, but feel that @JoeJester had responded in a manner very similar to what my reaction was.

I was surprised to hear this may have been the action of a single moderator, having been under the impression that such actions were taken in concert. That a single moderator took this action is good, in a slight way. At least it wasn't a group decision.

I say that because while in general I have been impressed with the moderation at AAC, this action was disturbing to me.

I wondered about the reaction of our members from other countries. In contemplating this, I realize that the concept of freedom of culture must be universal, as is pride in those who serve our respective countries.

I add my voice to those who believe some response from the moderator or a representative, is reasonable and just.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I am new to this forum, but I am not new to forums. I like the character of this forum, but something happened to cause a significant long time member to give his notice. This should not go without public examination or explanation. This is the third year that WBahn has posted the exact same text, but today it was deleted. Why, what is different?

For the health of the forum, this needs to be responded to in a way that strengthens and not weakens the forum.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
At some point most of us have had the urge to take our ball and bat, and go home. Some have actually done so, but unless they were banned, they are free to return. WBahn made a post, the post was taken down, and the post was reinstated. No harm, no foul. Forget it and move on. No lynching or harakiri needed.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I was quiet when Bill asked his question, but feel that @JoeJester had responded in a manner very similar to what my reaction was.

I was surprised to hear this may have been the action of a single moderator, having been under the impression that such actions were taken in concert. That a single moderator took this action is good, in a slight way. At least it wasn't a group decision.

I say that because while in general I have been impressed with the moderation at AAC, this action was disturbing to me.

I wondered about the reaction of our members from other countries. In contemplating this, I realize that the concept of freedom of culture must be universal, as is pride in those who serve our respective countries.

I add my voice to those who believe some response from the moderator or a representative, is reasonable and just.
This is sad to see happening. WBahn held strong views and his reaction is not surprising. The moderator's decision is. This is a big loss to the knowledge base of the forum.

I haven't had much chance to participate on here lately, but check in often to see what is happening. I did not expect this.

The no politics policy is good in principal, however, this was a Memorial Day post. I had entertained the idea of posting something on May 9th, but didn't. I will let you figure out why. I hold a view that events such as Memorial Days have the capacity to bring people all over the world together because they can show that we have (sadly) much in common and all suffer the same pain and sadness of a loss and take same pride in our victories. Instead it would appear that even on a scale of a forum we let ourselves be divided.

Much as WBahn, I try to post this in various places:

Wait for me, and I'll come back!
Wait with all you've got!
Wait, when dreary yellow rains
Tell you, you should not.
Wait when snow is falling fast,
Wait when summer's hot,
Wait when yesterdays are past,
Others are forgot.
Wait, when from that far-off place,
Letters don't arrive.
Wait, when those with whom you wait
Doubt if I'm alive.

Wait for me, and I'll come back!
Wait in patience yet
When they tell you off by heart
That you should forget.
Even when my dearest ones
Say that I am lost,
Even when my friends give up,
Sit and count the cost,
Drink a glass of bitter wine
To the fallen friend -
Wait! And do not drink with them!
Wait until the end!

Wait for me and I'll come back,
Dodging every fate!
"What a bit of luck!" they'll say,
Those that would not wait.
They will never understand
How amidst the strife,
By your waiting for me, dear,
You had saved my life.
Only you and I will know
How you got me through.
Simply - you knew how to wait -
No one else but you.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
"Forget it and move on" and "lynching or harakiri" are in the "very bad things" category. No one benefits from ignoring problems or overreacting. Everyone benefits when good judgement and correct action are evident.
The problem wasn't ignored. WBahn's post was reinstated. And the "overreacting" is insisting that someone must be called out and made to cry "mea culpa."

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I wasn't going to get involved, but I saw nothing political in WBahn's thread. It was written to remember those who have died protecting their country. That applies to ANY nationality and doesn't bring politics into it at all. Just because he mentions war doesn't mean it's political. And I'm surprised that anyone took offense to that, especially a member of the moderating staff. I am glad to see that his thread was reinstated, but the damage is done. I agree that a public apology to WBahn from the moderator in question is necessary.

Matt

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
no one should apologize at the demand of another. Thatis freedom of speech. if, after an airing of ideas by others, one reconsiders his previous actions, then by all means, make corrections or retractions. Apologize if you see or feel the need, but never let someone else bully you into it. It must be given freely and be felt appropriate, not demanded from another persons 'outrage'

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
no one should apologize at the demand of another. Thatis freedom of speech. if, after an airing of ideas by others, one reconsiders his previous actions, then by all means, make corrections or retractions. Apologize if you see or feel the need, but never let someone else bully you into it. It must be given freely and be felt appropriate, not demanded from another persons 'outrage'
Remember, however, that the initial action (closing of the thread) was also an infringement of the freedom of speech.

I agree, if you're going to apologize you need to actually mean it. Simply doing it because others demand it defeats the purpose. It is something that said moderator should seriously consider though.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I think maybe someone might mistake Memorial Day (Somewhere in the world) by associating it to recent and past wars and yes I said wars. It originated after the Civil War in the United States and has been recognized since as a National Day of remembrance to those who have fallen. For whom this day can extend to all who have perished in battle; right, wrong or indifferent around the world and in every country regardless of belief.

It's not a political statement and is not directed or should be used as one in any way shape or form. It's a shame when one individual twist's this to there modality of thinking without discussion; acting in a knee jerk reaction without support of the Moderator Team. I'm confused and dismayed, at the very least we should at least know why this individual felt they had to delete the thread to begin with.

kv

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You gotta love this place; always some drama going on. If I quit every time I was puzzled by a thread closing that seemed uwarranted (or by a non-closure that seemed warranted) I'd have quite many times over.

No harm, no foul. Forget it and move on. No lynching or harakiri needed.
Good advise.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Thatis freedom of speech.
There was NO speech involved. The thread was closed as political and the member decided to depart because of the closure. Had the moderator disagreed with a reply, then it's free speech.

You can't unring a bell. There was a foul and it did cause harm to the forums.

I have no confidence in the abilities of that moderator to moderate.

Folks, I don't need a public apology. An apology to WBahn and his return is good enough for me. I don't need to know the moderator's name, and if WBahn returned, the unknown moderator could continue to moderate under supervision of the other moderators. I don't need to know who it was.

A valuable asset was summarily dismissed by the actions of a single moderator. If some are ok with that, fine. I chose not to ignore the issue.

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
If a lightweight AAC member like me were to give notice, then it would be a, "move on, nothing to see here" event. But it was Wbahn who gave notice, who has almost 12000 posts to his name. (The bus just lost a wheel.)

Damage has been done that may, or may not, be able to be undone. What the moderators do next is very important. It will show what they are made of.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If a lightweight AAC member like me were to give notice, then it would be a, "move on, nothing to see here" event. But it was Wbahn who gave notice, who has almost 12000 posts to his name. (The bus just lost a wheel.)

Damage has been done that may, or may not, be able to be undone. What the moderators do next is very important. It will show what they are made of.
Maybe my point was missed, there really is 'something to see here' that should be addressed as I also think it was over the top to delete his post. The fact that it was put back needs to be considered as good faith from the site as a whole.