Bike Riding For Health

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If you do decide to go for it please don't be one of those people that buys a bike with a suspension. Unless you are doing actual mountain biking there is no need. It is just extra weight and something else that can go wrong.
A lot of people seem to buy bikes based on what is fashionable. If you are just going on road, a mountain bike with 2 inch wide knobbly tyres is really slow and hard work. The newest fashion over here is single speed bikes, maybe next it will be solid rubber tyres and penny farthings.
<ed> I forgot about womens bikes with the low top tube, no idea why they exist, they are weaker and heavier than the standard geometry. </ed>
I ride a hybrid (aka city bike) because I prefer sitting upright to being bent over the bars on a racer. It's basically a lightweight mountainbike geometry frame with road bike wheels. Get a mirror, they are really helpful.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, cycling is for me too. I ride my bicycle year round. I go to work on bicycle. In my younger days I did a lot of traveling by bicycle. I have ridden in South America, USA, Canada, UK, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, France and Spain.

I do a lot of swimming and running too.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
My friend sold his old ranch to Chad Reed. I'll give you guys his address if you wanna go ask him about riding bikes. :)

It was actually quite amazing. They had a huge lot of property and a nice plantation style house on the propery, along with some slave houses that were basically shacks. They tried to sell it for a couple million for a couple years and turns out Chad Reed and his people bought it. Then they set the whole thing up as a motocross practice track. I got to go out and see em making it one day. I didn't get to meet him though he was in austrailia or something.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
A lot of people seem to buy bikes based on what is fashionable. If you are just going on road, a mountain bike with 2 inch wide knobbly tyres is really slow and hard work. The newest fashion over here is single speed bikes, maybe next it will be solid rubber tyres and penny farthings.
<ed> I forgot about womens bikes with the low top tube, no idea why they exist, they are weaker and heavier than the standard geometry. </ed>
I ride a hybrid (aka city bike) because I prefer sitting upright to being bent over the bars on a racer. It's basically a lightweight mountainbike geometry frame with road bike wheels. Get a mirror, they are really helpful.
Yeah that is the problem. :)

A straight hybrid is fine. I have two bikes a road bike with dropped bars and a hybrid that I use for MUP riding. I prefer the road bike, I think it is a more comfortable riding position.

Comfort bikes are also perfectly acceptable if you are not serious into the sport.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
A hybrid bike would be very comfortable in an urban environment and ideal for exercise.

But what if you wanted to take a Saturday morning trek to the nearby hills? Mountain bikes can go in the city. City bikes can't go in the country.
I 'll admit though that a rear suspension isn't really worth it.

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
Funny how bells work on the MUPS. You can yell out "on your left" and the ped will almost always move to (you guessed it) his left. But ring a bell and they seem to instinctively move right. :)
I remember having that happen a lot when I tried calling out "left" or "right" while closing on a slower snow skier in front of me, until I changed the warning to "I'm over here", which worked much better at preventing sudden turns into my path.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I can no longer ride a road racer because of upper back pain.

I developed acute pain in the upper right shoulders that was diagnosed as being caused by bad posture at the computer keyboard - slouching over the keyboard in front of the screen.

Everyone should pay attention to this.

I had 6 months of physiotherapy to correct this. I had to change my chairs when working at the computer. I know compute leaning back on a high back chair that provides good back support.

The pain eventually went away but came back a year later. Now it is better but I am always aware of the problem and do lots of back straightening exercises.

Now I ride an ebike in the upright position. The guy that sold it to me calls it a ladies' bike. I call it a step-through. I do not like carrying a back pack on my back while riding. Instead, the pack is in a basket on the rear carrier. With the step-through design I do not have to lift my leg over the cross bar or the back pack.

The ebike is a joy to ride. I still get ample exercise and having the extra power is a delight when climbing hills or fighting head winds.

I wear a helmet, goggles, and a lime-green fluorescent worker's safety jacket (or vest in the summer), like what the UK cops wear (I'll post a photo later). The safety vest has made a tremendous difference from day one. Cars and trucks give me more space and respect on the road.

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Nothing going on here,might as well take a bike ride.

Some one can google Las Olas & A1A and see if any

bikes are being riden on the side walk.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
A hybrid bike would be very comfortable in an urban environment and ideal for exercise.

But what if you wanted to take a Saturday morning trek to the nearby hills? Mountain bikes can go in the city. City bikes can't go in the country.
I 'll admit though that a rear suspension isn't really worth it.
A hybrid is fine for the hills but I still prefer my road bike. A rear suspension is not worth it but so is a front suspension. There is no need for any suspension unless you are riding mountain trails.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
On my bike ride I came across a fish fry, shimp jumbolie,french fries

Cooked fresh vegtables. A scotish festival set up in the woods.

I am full,with another piece of fish for later,having some coffee

from my new therm,waiting,for a live body.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Riding on a bike ,you are close to a lot of things that riding

in traffic you miss,no way to turn,it gone when you come

back and you don't bother your self. One promlem,you take

your eye off the bike and it gone.