Bike Riding For Health

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
5,182
A hybrid is fine for the hills but I still prefer my road bike. A rear suspension is not worth it but so is a front suspension. There is no need for any suspension unless you are riding mountain trails.
Are hills in Pittsburgh tarmac paved? Greek hills definitely call for mountain bike tires. Any road not leading to a populated area isn't paved.
 

Thread Starter

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
1,686
Do you live in an area without paved roads,do you have gated communities.

They have gated communities in the Saudie countries for oil worker and non-

natives. What type of non-native workers do you have in your country,if any.

Like we have oil workers from Norway and Sweden in the U.S. Do you have any of

the inter state type hyways from big city to big city. You never hear of earth quakes

or floods from your country.
 

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
7,830
Are hills in Pittsburgh tarmac paved? Greek hills definitely call for mountain bike tires. Any road not leading to a populated area isn't paved.
All roads are paved. There might be a few exceptions, say a fire road or private road.

Our bike paths are mixed. Some paved some not. One of the longest bike paths on the US is just over the hill from my house. That trail is not paved. The trail to Cumberland,Maryland is crushed limestone. From Cumberland to Washington DC is packed dirt.

http://www.atatrail.org/

It actually starts at the Montour Trail which is near my home

http://montourtrail.org/


We also have the steepest paved street in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Avenue

This street is part of a hill climbing race that takes place each year around February.
 

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
5,182
That explains it. This is the kind of a typical rural road I used to take in my bike trips:


This isn't from Greece, but I can't find photos of the actual roads I used to bike onto when I was a kid.
This is a rural road in good condition, leading to the fields. It could be worse, if the rain had carved ditches.

The references of the bike roads you sent where magnificent. No wonder you said suspensions and thick tires weren't needed. But I 'd love to ride this type of paths for a change.
 

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
7,830
Wow that is rough! My GPS took me down a couple of these in Italy till I learned to tell it to ignore unpaved roads! L)


Italy and Austria are not too far away for you. They have some great roads. Check out the Adige and Imst River bicycle trails.

Austria has a bunch of others too including one one the Danube.

http://www.europeantraveldirect.com/tours.php?D=23

The picture I posted above is from the Imst. You can see what most of the path looks like

This is along the Imst too.




Or you can come to the States and ride the Great Allegheny Passage from my house to Washington DC. :)


This is pretty much the Worst of the GAP. It is actually the C&O Canal Trail and only gets bad when it rains.

 

Attachments

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
5,934
I may soon take my bike out of the shed. The snow is about to go. Got it last year on sale. I have not used it much
 

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
35,186
Here is picture of me in my fluorescent green safety work jacket battling winter on an ebike.

 
Last edited:

Thread Starter

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
1,686
A great picture, Mr.Chips you are in good shape. You set a good example

of taking care of your health,that a keeper for the world wide Internet.

You will inspire more pictures of good health and people just being themselfes.

You got me as the ugly guy photo,so who is better looking than Loosewire.

Mr. chips and a bunch of guys ,Riaff with his long hair style,Nerdgutta with

his mans, man photo,I wouldn't want to make him mad,T06 is right in there

my memory is fading and I don't want leave any one out so if you have

a picture posted bring it over here now so they will be all together.
 
Top