Bike motor

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A "road bike does not have a spring suspension like a mountain bike, and it has a higher speed top gear, and not as low a bottom gear. The pedals may be a bit lower on the frame, and the spokes are usually only the standard number. The tire tread is not quite as aggressive. Some road bikes have narrower tires, mine does not. A road bike often has a kick stand, a mountain bike never does.
A mountain bike may have spring suspension front and rear, heavier-duty spokes, stronger rims and lower speed gearing from top to bottom. The tires may be thicker and tougher and with an aggressive tread, and are usually wider. The shift and brake cables on a mountain bike are routed so that they are protected from damage due ti hitting things. A true mountain bike has a more rugged frame, as well.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Looked at the kits, don't look too good or reliable. Wonder how difficult it is to use a cordless drill for this purpose with say a 24VDC motor. Advantage is it has all rolled in one i.e. motor gearbox and battery. On another website, someone said it can be done. Any ideas?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
While coyote could do it with a cordless drill and use it to chase the roadrunner, that is as close to reality as I can imagine a cordless drill taking a bike. Not everything on youtoob is real. or even close to truthful. Real electric bike motors are quite a bit larger because they have to be. and the battery packs are larger because they have to be.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
I have this motor (pic attached), would like to use it on my bike for assist only (10%). It is 12V, 6A, L = 3.5", D= 2". Any ideas what is the best and quickest way to do it?

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That motor has a worm gear in it. That would not be a good idea on a bicycle because if you were to cut power to the motor it would be like applying the brake and it will throw you over the handle bar.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You could use that motor to drive the chain that drives the free-wheel, that would solve the non-back-drive problem, but what I do not see is a motor output shaft. I am guessing, based on the appearance, that it is a power seat adjusting motor. If that is the case then it does not have an output shaft, it has a square hole to drive a flexible shaft. So let us know what the original application was.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If my maths is correct you will need a drive reduction ratio of around 14:1 between motor and road wheel for a motor rpm of 1800, a road wheel diameter of 26" and a road speed of 10mph.