Big LED failure problem

Jakub Wefdkvndvvsa

Joined Sep 20, 2017
Hi guys,
recently I have many problems with SMD LEDs. The most common problem is some kind of leakage in silicone encapsulation. It might be air but I have no idea, what is the root cause of it. Do you have any idea? Is it dangerous? What can be done to prevent it? Is it encapsulation process fault?
LED after putting into tester first shines few times, than start to work normally. After about month they become damaged permanently.
Here are some photos of good and bad one.

Attachments

Jakub Wefdkvndvvsa

Joined Sep 20, 2017
Sure. Here is electric scheme in attachment.
These are simple switch circuits. It looks like LEDs are well protected with Zener diode inside, capacitance and resistance outside hmmm...

What about datasheet, I am not sure. I attach also a picture of SMD package. I could not find on Internet exactly my type. I think it is PLCC 2, color: blue or yellow, does not matter.

Attachments

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I have not seen that before.......but the environment looked good. I'm not a LED expert.

What do you mean when you say " LED after putting into tester "? What is a "tester"?

Jakub Wefdkvndvvsa

Joined Sep 20, 2017
It is a connector under small voltage to test if LEDs are ok. Also it checks resistances of PCBs between pins.
Before posting here I also checked many websites about LED failures and noone is similar to mine problem.

Current draw is 20 mA.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The most common cause of LED failure in products is improper reflow temperature profile.

Read the data sheet for the LED- make sure the reflow process matches the recommended profile!
It's easy to think this doesn't matter much anymore- but it does! Many thousands down the toilet because of this simple stupid problem.

Jakub Wefdkvndvvsa

Joined Sep 20, 2017
Yes, I think you are right. How do you think - what is it? Air, moisture from silicone or other substance?
I am not sure also why air influence gold wire in such strange way. Can you get such a bubble after LED is produced?
This is really weird problem...

N|kolαTeslα

Joined Sep 17, 2017
LEDs are sensitive, I suggest to operate that below but not too below to the actual operating voltage or current or try to enlarge the value of the protecting circuit base on datasheet. If none, try experimenting what values it will lit and reduce the values for the range of tolerance.