Best motor for up and down

Kdeyarmin

Joined Jan 9, 2021
Hi guys! I am a co2 laser hobbyist. The bed of the laser needs to be raised and lowered to accommodate the proper focus distance and the machine that I have is manual. It’s getting old manually turning the knob and I would like to make it motorized. I have found the following kit but I have heard that it had little to no directions and I don’t think that I want the actual autofocus feature. I just want to raise and lower it mechanically. What is my best bet for a motor and switch to do that? And what all items would I need? The back has an area that would fit the below type and size motor already. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I have heard that it had little to no directions
And I have little to no information to guide me also... Motor, Switch, Power Supply, Motor Control Circuit, and some kind of mechanical interface to the leveler. The last part is the kicker and custom made. The rest are off the shelf standard components. The control circuit must include FWD and REV controls.

Kdeyarmin

Joined Jan 9, 2021
And I have little to no information to guide me also... Motor, Switch, Power Supply, Motor Control Circuit, and some kind of mechanical interface to the leveler. The last part is the kicker and custom made. The rest are off the shelf standard components. The control circuit must include FWD and REV controls.
I am very novice at electronics. So I would be looking at the very basic. There wouldn’t be a leveler. All 4 screw drives are controlled by 1 belt. So the motor would turn the belt, raising and lowering the bed. What would my easiest choice in motors (stepper, dc, ECT..) be just to press the switch and make it to up and down. I don’t even want to tie it into the laser. I’d like to make it fully independent of the actual laser. I’m just having a hard time trying to configure the exact setup and all of the components.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Depends on the motor. AC? DC? HP, V, I, Does it need a starting circuit? A simple center neutral with spring return from both sides to neutral toggle switch with the proper wiring for the motor would suffice. Power ON/OFF toggle switch with LED indicator if wished. Fused? Once again the mechanical interface is the hard part. Would it be cost-effective to buy the kit just for the motor and mechanical interface?

Kdeyarmin

Joined Jan 9, 2021
Depends on the motor. AC? DC? HP, V, I, Does it need a starting circuit? A simple center neutral with spring return from both sides to neutral toggle switch with the proper wiring for the motor would suffice. Power ON/OFF toggle switch with LED indicator if wished. Fused? Once again the mechanical interface is the hard part. Would it be cost-effective to buy the kit just for the motor and mechanical interface?
i considered that. But in order to control it, as is in that kit, I would need to hook it up to the lasers board and I’m really afraid of messing that wiring or boards up. That’s why I was hoping for a fully independent solution. Do you think I could connect a switch to that stepper motor and then get a power supply and hook it up that way?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The PDF for the M860C stepper motor controller was password protected? I would expect that being a stepper motor controller, you could wire it with any type of motor control configuration circuit you wanted. Now, is this a uC that needs programming or a more simple "dumb" motor controller? I did see where there were dip switches to set parameters so I'm leaning toward the "dumb" controller but can't tell for sure. Find out as much as you can about that controller.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
What would my easiest choice in motors (stepper, dc, ECT..) be just to press the switch and make it to up and down. I don’t even want to tie it into the laser. I’d like to make it fully independent of the actual laser. I’m just having a hard time trying to configure the exact setup and all of the components.
The website for the item you show pretty much tells you what they are using for a motor and motor driver, pretty standard available on Ebay stuff. To do it manually and not automatic, you would also need aastable type circuit like a 555 to make a variable frequency square wave pulse to control speed. And a single pole double throw switch for the up and down. And suitable power supply for the stepper motor. https://omtechlaser.com/products/autofocus-sensor-kit-usb-aff1-00?_pos=1&_sid=5c2817c85&_ss=r

Are you modifying one of their cutters? Or is it a home build?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Hmmm... No typical wiring diagrams... But yes, no programming, only set by dip switches. One enable switch and one bidirectional switch should do it. All of your mounting/interfacing/motor selection problems solved.

Kdeyarmin

Joined Jan 9, 2021
Is this something that someone with limited electronics knowledge could accomplish, do you think? And where do you recommend getting all of the components? I really appreciate all of your input

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The electronics part is pretty much just plug and play. The driver manual should walk you through it. And I don't know about any one else but I've always got my stepper stuff from Ebay sellers. Now days you can even find the astable pulse modules already built. Just don't cheap out and try to use a switch mode power supply for the stepper motor, they aren't made for powering them as the manual will tell you.

And don't get a power supply rated for the voltage of the motor, but do make sure it is at least as many amps as the motor calls for(more is better you will chose output amps with dip switches on the driver). Voltage should be around 1 1/2 or 2 times the motor voltage, steppers are current driven motors.

Do you think you will have a problem making a motor mount to drive the screws? You didn't say if it was a DIY laser cutter or store bought..

Kdeyarmin

Joined Jan 9, 2021
The electronics part is pretty much just plug and play. The driver manual should walk you through it. And I don't know about any one else but I've always got my stepper stuff from Ebay sellers. Now days you can even find the astable pulse modules already built. Just don't cheap out and try to use a switch mode power supply for the stepper motor, they aren't made for powering them as the manual will tell you.

And don't get a power supply rated for the voltage of the motor, but do make sure it is at least as many amps as the motor calls for(more is better you will chose output amps with dip switches on the driver). Voltage should be around 1 1/2 or 2 times the motor voltage, steppers are current driven motors.

Do you think you will have a problem making a motor mount to drive the screws? You didn't say if it was a DIY laser cutter or store bought..
It’s a store bought. Could you give me the exact names of what I need to buy from eBay. I will definitely follow your recommendations. I appreciate it so much!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The PDF had some pretty specific power supply information including suggested/recommended make and model.

Kdeyarmin

Joined Jan 9, 2021
So I’ll buy that stepper motor and that controller and power supply. What about the up and down switch? What else do I need?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
As well as up and down you will need an 'off' function. That could be achieved with a second switch, or by an on-off-on switch having a centre-off position.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It’s a store bought. Could you give me the exact names of what I need to buy from eBay. I will definitely follow your recommendations. I appreciate it so much!
Not ignoring you just busy right now. do have some questions, because the motor and driver listed in the link you gave are both kind of expensive. And since it looks like the machines they are for seem to be industrial quality, I'm not sure you need that much power for yours. Any answers you can give will get better results for you. :)

The price between a NEMA 34 motor and driver is much higher than a NEMA 25 system. There are many DIY CNC machines that use a NEMA 25 motor so that may be all you need for your project.

1. where are you located, what country?

2. what brand and model of machine do you have? Better do you have a link to the manual or at least the company?

3. any idea how heavy the table your lifting is? What is the present way the table is being moved, belts(how wide of a belt, am assuming it's a toothed belt. Or roller chain, what pitch/chain number?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Keep in mind that NEMA is Not a motor power rating, but a mounting standard, for e.g., I have a catalogue of high end stepper motors and they show two motors, one being exactly twice the body length and rating of the other.
Both have the same NEMA standard (mounting). ;)
Max.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
'Might take a look at Surplus Center, NE, USA for gear motors.
SN: 5-1649. 100 RPM, 20 in lb., 12V, 6A, 62 A peak, $ 78.05; many others cheaper.
DPDT center off, momentary, 12V, 30 A, SN: 11-3334-A.

Kdeyarmin

Joined Jan 9, 2021
I purchased the setup that I posted a picture. I also got a momentary switch with on/off and center off. I also got a 48v 480 watt power supply. The momentary switch has 2 wires on one side and 2 on the other. And the other one that I bought (I wasn’t sure which one, so I bought both) has 6 pins. So does anyone have any words of advice and maybe advise which of the switches that I should use? It’s a Chinese no name laser. I’m unsure of how heavy the bed that it needs to lift is, but I’d say about 10 pounds. Thanks for everybody’s advice thus far!! I truly appreciate it.

Attachments