BEST LONG life and advance PIC micro programer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I'd go for the PICkit3. Then you don't have to move the uC between programmer and circuit, and you'll have the debugger function. ...and it works perfect with MPLAB X.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Of the programmers listed only the PICkit 3 is guaranteed by Microchip to support all new devices, along with all existing ones too. It can also be used for in circuit debugging, always a huge help.

From the descriptions I can't be sure if the others work with MPLAB, PICkit was made to work seemlessly.

All the others I would lump together as strictly hobby items.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'd go for the PICkit3. Then you don't have to move the uC between programmer and circuit, and you'll have the debugger function. ...and it works perfect with MPLAB X.
I agree. Avoid the hassle of any compatibility issues and buy the original. Plus plenty of people have the Microchip programmer so support will be better. Not that the Microchip needs any support as it works flawlessly.

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
I agree. Avoid the hassle of any compatibility issues and buy the original. Plus plenty of people have the Microchip programmer so support will be better. Not that the Microchip needs any support as it works flawlessly.
The only negative is that the PICKit3 standalone programmer app was created by users and has no support at all and is stuck in the past with no extensions for new PICs. Also the standalone app isn't all that good in terms of usability but no-one has taken it up and continued the development, sounds like a good project for someone but I don't have the time I'm afraid.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The only negative is that the PICKit3 standalone programmer app was created by users and has no support at all and is stuck in the past with no extensions for new PICs. Also the standalone app isn't all that good in terms of usability but no-one has taken it up and continued the development, sounds like a good project for someone but I don't have the time I'm afraid.
What "stand alone app"? I really don't care I use MpLabX which works just fine.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You are the one that brought up the fact that the PicKit3 won't work or is difficult to work with non Microship software. When the facts are. few manufacturers are going to make it easy for you to use their hardware with someone else's software when they already have the software that does the job. So the fact that there in no supported standalone app for the PicKit3 is irrelevant. Rather the PicKit3 is so widely used, someone wrote an alternate tool, be it, poorly supported.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Piece of fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.