Best Leds to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy2747

Joined Dec 11, 2018
Hi, I am new the group and I have a noob question. I am going to put RGBW led strips on the edges of my gaming desk. I have been looking at all kinds of leds strip lights and realize that I can get so many leds per meter and also have read that some leds don't last as long as other leds .

What's the best leds to buy? And where from?

I am going to be putting them inside a diffuser strip like this :
https://www.environmentallights.com/led-channel/flexible-diffusing-sleeves.html

Is it best to get 240 leds per meter for this application? I figured if I get the cheaper set the leds will be to far apart and not diffuse the light very well

And and all help is appreciated... Thank you.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

My advice would be to buy from a reputable source such as Jameco, Newark, Mouser, Digikey. I know that Jameco and Newark certify the authenticity of what they ship.

Don't buy from the likes of eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress; they're the source of a lot of counterfeit products. Even if it ships from the US. Anything that ships from China, and now Cambodia, is suspect (unless it comes from a reputable distributor).

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
I don't know the quality of the chinese ones, but home purchased products can be very expensive. If you want to just try, the cheap option is this:

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MMAMD1A
Led Strip 5V 1M/2M 16 Color Change For TV Background Lighting With USB 24KEY IR Controller Nowaterproof RGB 5050SMD

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cBkegfhq
Car Styling LED Strip Trunk Light 12V RGB 120cm IP68 Multifunction Auto Rear DRL Warning Lamp Turn Signal Brake Reverse Lights

Randy2747

Joined Dec 11, 2018
Welcome to AAC!

My advice would be to buy from a reputable source such as Jameco, Newark, Mouser, Digikey. I know that Jameco and Newark certify the authenticity of what they ship.

Don't buy from the likes of eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress; they're the source of a lot of counterfeit products. Even if it ships from the US. Anything that ships from China, and now Cambodia, is suspect (unless it comes from a reputable distributor).
DL324 Thx man I will definitely check those places out right now. The places you suggest not to buy from is exactly where I was looking for something of great quality lol. I just want lights that is going to last for awhile so I don't have to keep replacing the leds as often .

Thank you for the suggestions!

Randy2747

Joined Dec 11, 2018
I don't know the quality of the chinese ones, but home purchased products can be very expensive. If you want to just try, the cheap option is this:

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MMAMD1A
Led Strip 5V 1M/2M 16 Color Change For TV Background Lighting With USB 24KEY IR Controller Nowaterproof RGB 5050SMD

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cBkegfhq
Car Styling LED Strip Trunk Light 12V RGB 120cm IP68 Multifunction Auto Rear DRL Warning Lamp Turn Signal Brake Reverse Lights
Aarkel the Dragon, thank you for the quick reply but I definitely don't want to go with anything of cheap quality. I want something low maintenance and I don't want to have to keep pulling leds out of the channel and having to solder them over and over.

Thx for the suggestions tho

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Aarkel the Dragon, thank you for the quick reply but I definitely don't want to go with anything of cheap quality. I want something low maintenance and I don't want to have to keep pulling leds out of the channel and having to solder them over and over.

Thx for the suggestions tho
If you want high quality the respected supplier is your option. If you want to play with them or risk them, first risk the cheap ones and then when you learn buy the expensive ones. To me its better to get a chinese one, which will last 1-2 years and with some maintenance, sometimes they even last 5. It depends on the seller.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
I've about a dozen strips from eBay , always select with the most leds per meter , then the lowest price ...

run them below 12v !! ... 10 or 11V , this way they will last forever and give more light per Watt input ...

People often put these on a car battery ,,,, which runs over 12V ... typically 12,6 , sometimes over 13V ... this will result in a short life.

Randy2747

Joined Dec 11, 2018
Hi Dendad,

Funny you brought that up because I just order a Elegoo EL-KIT-008 Mega 2560 Project arduino kit and will receive it tomorrow. I want to learn how to use and program it . I am glad you mentioned the addressable leds because I didn't realize u need those type of LEDs. With the arduino

Thx!

gramps

Joined Dec 8, 2014
Just an FYI.... Many of the addressable LED strips operate at 5 volts. 12 volts will put a frown on your face quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.