Best battery for this solenoid

Jagerneu

Joined Aug 8, 2017
I am currently working on a high-pressure air valve for a side project of mine. The project requires a large bore solenoid (3/4") to open and close, up to once every second at the fastest, and it will be operating under roughly 100-120 PSI. The solenoid I am working with is a 12 volt normally closed solenoid, that operates at 12v DC (+/- 10%). It can operate from 10-232 PSI and from 14 to 248 degrees fahrenheit. I'm not sure of how fast it opens, but many of the online reviews say they use it for confetti canons with great results, so it seems like it opens fast enough.

The solenoid itself needs to be battery powered, and will be working with an additional (but smaller) solenoid under the same battery. For powering this solenoid, would it be better to use a higher voltage battery, such as a 14.8 5000 MaH lipo, or a smaller 12/11.1 4000 MaH lipo?

I've never understood batteries enough to decide without help. Logically, the higher voltage battery makes sense, having more than enough power to trip the solenoid, but I assume it would have to be stepped down, or have the voltage throttled to avoid burning it out? Versus the 12v lipo, which would have exactly the power needed (since the solenoid is only opening for a split second) and would require less regulation, but might not last as long.

Any assistance I can get for this project would be greatly appreciated, as I would love to not burn through solenoids left and right. Thanks again!

Jagerneu

Joined Aug 8, 2017
Can you post links to the solenoids' specifications. Solenoid current draw would help.

Ken
Sure thing, here is a link to the manufacturer's product page

https://ussolid.com/catalog/product...4vac-viton-seal-n-c-air-gas-fuel/category/30/

And how long you want the battery to last between charges.
I would end up having several lipos, but the system would at most need to run for two hours. Bear in mind it's going to cycle at the fastest, once every second for at most ten seconds, before a 20 second break. It's also not going to be continuously used, it may be on standby for 5-10 minutes at a time without being cycled.

Jagerneu

Joined Aug 8, 2017
~ a 1Amp draw.
Max.
So I would need to regulate it not to jump over
1amp then? Only reason I have this question is even though the 12v lipo would deliver the required amount of power, I don't know how many times it would be able to, and when there are more than one items drawing power, if I'm going to actually get 12 volts per pull.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If just pulse firing you could go with the slightly higher voltage.
Add up the total power required, this should steer you to the right battery capacity.
Max.

Jagerneu

Joined Aug 8, 2017
If just pulse firing you could go with the slightly higher voltage.
Add up the total power required, this should steer you to the right battery capacity.
Max.
If I'm running two 12v solenoids, but they're only pulse firing (and one is significantly smaller than the other) would I need to up to a higher voltage battery? Surely I wouldn't need a 24-volt battery, would I?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A 12 W coil will have a large inductive kick, so depending on driver used an appropriate snubber, maybe a diode or 24 ohm R in series with .1 uF C across coil.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If 1amp draw a 1n4007 should do it also, one thing with any snubber is it can slow release time, but they are not that large so it may not be noticeable.
Max.