Bell222 strobe light project

vane

Joined Feb 28, 2007
finally got the heli!!! gonna try making a vac forming mould for the shell :) so im gonna try and make this, does anyone have a circuit diagram i can make this from? i think i would use a pic micro controller but programming it would be a problem cause ideally i would like to be able to change the led sequence at will but i dont think i will be able to afford the price for an interface to plug the pic into to program it :S

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Maybe you can consider the addition of a dip-switch as an input to the PIC and then the program could be written to execute a different light sequence based on the setting of the dip switch.

With a 4-postition switch you could have up to 16 different light sequence from which to choose.

hgmjr

vane

Joined Feb 28, 2007
i found a site that shows a diagram for how to make a pic programmer fo a serial connector :p but it would be easier if i had the switch and more than one at a time :p thanks, just need a circuit diagram :), would anyone be so kind?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The LM3916 is in dB, you'd really want the LM3914 which is linear.

Using the LM3914, if you use capacitors in parallel with the LED's, you'll get that "fade" you're looking for. LED's draw quite a bit less current as they are dimming down.

Just feed a triangle wave to the Vin of the LM3914s to have the LEDs sweep back and fourth; you could use a 555 timer for that. Nothing fancy needed, really.

rusirius

Joined Jan 9, 2008
FWIW, with a PIC your other option is to use a spare channel on the rx to control the pattern... You could assign a three-way to a spare channel for example... Since you can set the output (the rx outputs standard 0 - 5v as I recall) to trigger the PIC at various thresholds... for example 0v would cause one pre-programmed pattern, 2.5v another, and 5v yet another... This way you could change the pattern by simply throwing a switch.. ;) I don't have much experience with PIC's so i'm assuming the pic has an analog input and enough program room for various patterns... Even if no analog input you can still use a digital input and switch between two patterns...

vane

Joined Feb 28, 2007
yeah that would be awesome but i dont have any spare channels on it and it may just be extra weight, especially with electric rc models you have to keep the weight as small as possible, i assume you have some experience with rc models :)
i could make it so when i have the throttle on some leds light up etc :) im gonna need a good battery cause i am gonna illuminate it like a christmas tree :)