Beginner, I don't have any electronic knowledge.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Do you understand resistors, capacitors, and inductors?
If not look at the education section on this site. Start with DC circuits then AC circuits.

firstuser101

Joined Jun 28, 2021
Do you understand resistors, capacitors, and inductors?
If not look at the education section on this site. Start with DC circuits then AC circuits.
Thanks!
I have 2 questions about this though:
1) Do I need to understand all of the subjects under DC and AC?
2) How long dou you think it will take to get to a level of knowledge that will allow me to understand RC devices?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
1. Yes, you probably do, and a lot of other stuff as well (transistors, ICs, microcontrollers,...)
2. It all depends on how well you learn this stuff but from zero knowledge it is going to take a while and a lot of work.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
They use the propogation of radio waves by FM or AM, with a digital coded signal mixed in. So start by looking up how RF is generated and pcm( pulse code modulation).

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I think you should approach this from two sides.

One is the fundamentals that @AlbertHall has suggested, this will give you a foundation in theory and the simple, practical circuits that ultimately make up everything electronic.

The other is from the systems side, that is, learning about the radios, servos, and MCUs, and batteries involved in practical RC cars, how they interconnect, and how they operate as individual and composite systems.

So, you can take each of those larger topics and research them (there is a lot of information on the web) so you have an idea of the bigger parts. I would also strongly suggest trying to build a basic RC vehicle from the lowest level parts you can manage. That is, to integrate your own system.

This will give you a reason to learn the parts, and even the fundamentals that is not abstract,

firstuser101

Joined Jun 28, 2021
I think you should approach this from two sides.

One is the fundamentals that @AlbertHall has suggested, this will give you a foundation in theory and the simple, practical circuits that ultimately make up everything electronic.

The other is from the systems side, that is, learning about the radios, servos, and MCUs, and batteries involved in practical RC cars, how they interconnect, and how they operate as individual and composite systems.

So, you can take each of those larger topics and research them (there is a lot of information on the web) so you have an idea of the bigger parts. I would also strongly suggest trying to build a basic RC vehicle from the lowest level parts you can manage. That is, to integrate your own system.

This will give you a reason to learn the parts, and even the fundamentals that is not abstract,
I will do that, thank you very much

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I want to fully understand how rc cars and other devices work but I don't have any electronic knowledge.
How should I start?

just to say
" fully understand how rc cars and other devices work "

I doubt many ( certainly not me ) fully understand everything of how stuff works, we no some bits in more details than others,

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I want to fully understand how rc cars and other devices work but I don't have any electronic knowledge.
How should I start?
This is a very broad field even before you get to RC cars.
Yes, you need to learn the following:

1. Electricity
  2. Electrical components such as resistors, capacitors, inductors
  3. DC and AC circuits
  4. Semiconductor devices, diodes, transistors
  5. AF and RF circuits
  6. RF transmitters and receivers
  7. AM/FM modulation
  8. Data encoding
  9. Microcontrollers
  10. Servo motors