Beenthere

massive

Joined May 7, 2010
I was sending emails back and forth to Beenthere ( Bill ) and then a few weeks later he died, I had no idea at the time he was ill but he kept on the key board. If I had known I probably wouldnt of desturbed him but I guess he kept himself busy.

yesterday was the first time Ive been back on AAC and its only hit me today its been a year gone by 29 october.

he certainly did his fair share on this site, contributed alot. = Thank you Bill (Beenthere)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The day will change in a few minutes here, but the message is valid.

Thank you Bill for contributing in the making of AAC the place we all love and enjoy. Your efforts didn't go in vain.
May you ever be remembered.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
you can say that i was living under rock. i joined only a year ago and even though I was sifting through older post in the forum, and seen plenty of his posts and blogs, I missed that big thread, probably because i tend to avoid long threads... if it was not for massive to bring it up, i'd be in the dark for long time

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sadly I missed out on a chance (no pun intended) to meet 1chance this summer. I was going to ride the Katy trail and she lives right along the trail. We had it all set up to meet for dinner with a possible stay at her place.

I was really looking forward to meet the most important person in Bill's life. It would sort of been like meeting Bill (the legend) himself in a way.

I was watching the forecast with great concern before the trip. More worried about rain (it is a be-otch to ride in the rain on a limestone trail). Little did I expect the heat to be the issue. Forecast got into the high 80s. No problem with that, next low nineties concern but still not a problem, high nineties, ok early starts. When it got to 110F with lows in the high eighties I just had to cancel. That is pretty much deadly riding temps.

Well hopefully next year.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I am also sorry to hear that Beenthere has passed away. I chatted with him many times.

My university newsletter also has doom and gloom when it tells me which of my old class-mates has passed away. Few remain.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
My university newsletter also has doom and gloom when it tells me which of my old class-mates has passed away. Few remain.
For those who are retired military, in time you recognize more names in the TAPS section and fewer in the Retirement section of the newsletters. I don't recognize any of the people retiring these days.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I miss Beenthere as well. The last I heard from him was on 10/3/2011. Cancer is a hellish way to go, for all concerned.

When he was in the Navy back in the 1960's, he worked on the fire control computers of the USS Jouett, DLG-29 (later CG-29) and spent a good part of his enlistment sailing around the Gulf of Tonkin off Viet Nam participating in Red Crown. Red Crown would keep pilots informed of location and number of MiGs, SAM sites, fast-moving enemy assets such as patrol boats with missiles, etc. and would participate heavily in rescuing downed pilots. After his tour of duty in the Navy, he worked for many years in a laboratory at a university, designing/building/maintaining special electronic equipment for research.

His contributions here are missed.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Heres something that may be strange may not. I really don't know. When my grand fathers died they passed and in a week we had a funeral with "honor guard?" Well the whole process took 1 week. My father just died about a month ago and its taken us 35 days to finalize everything with the military for his service. Is the military usually this behind with burrials and its just a sign of the times thing? Or is it because we are currently burring our current servicemen and veterans causing an overload?

**** Don't want to go off topic or hijack the thread but I don't know that many servicemen and you guys seem to know much more about this then me.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I unfortunately only got to chat with Bill a few times after I joined. He had a great amount of knowledge and wisdom to share, and he did a fantastic job of doing so. I still stumble across his old posts now and then, and I've come to realize he is truly immortal. As long as this forum stands, and the members are still around to tell his story, he will continue to live through this site and this diverse family. People will never stop learning from him. I wish I could be even half the man that Bill was/is, and that I could gain and share knowledge the way he has. He'll certainly never be forgotten.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thing is, no one really knew Bill. I got a glimpse before he died, we shared many points of view. In many ways he was liberal, but you would/could never know from his posts. This is professionalism at its finest.

I think most people have figured out by know I am basically liberal, which is funny. Anywhere else but Texas I would be considered a conservative.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Thing is, no one really knew Bill. I got a glimpse before he died, we shared many points of view. In many ways he was liberal, but you would/could never know from his posts. This is professionalism at its finest.

I think most people have figured out by know I am basically liberal, which is funny. Anywhere else but Texas I would be considered a conservative.
Nah you'd be a Liberal in FL too. We have people making their own 10ft x 4ft Romney signs hand painted and professinally of nice wood. Their even hiring crews with post diggers to come mount them. Its insane. Then your drive to the other side of town and its the exact opposite. But no crazy signs, or billboards.